Dr. Marema anyone?

abandster
on 7/17/08 11:07 pm

The partnership ended at US Bariatrics?  I'm sort of shocked.  What happened?  I know you said Dr Kim would always be there and that's a blessing for those folks who are down that way.  I know Dr. Marema was further down south, moved up to Orlando and has now come of St. Augustine.  So what going on?  And since you are no longer with US Bariatrics, did you go to another bariatric office? I'm just curious.

La Wanda

Kristen H.
on 7/18/08 10:46 am - Orlando, FL
Florida Hospital actually ended their partnership with US Bariatric, I am told. They then asked Dr Kim to stay on as their new program's medical director. So Dr Kim is still at Celebration and I will always follow him.

I left US bariatric when the business end of things was collapsing, IMHO. Dr. Marema hired a consultant who just didn't have Dr. Marema's (and certainly not Dr Kim's) best interests in mind. Again, my opinion. No changes were certain so I left. I am now with Ideal Image laser hair removal. Although I'd love to go back to bariatrics, I believe that everything happens for a reason so I embrace change!
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
ljr830
on 7/25/08 12:13 pm
Hi, I was working with Dr. Marema but not now. Not because of him but my insuance company said he was out of network. I really thought he was a good doctor, he talked with me and made me feel good about him as a bariatric surgeon. Good Luck
Linda
Arabella
on 8/30/12 4:27 pm - Orlando, FL
Revision on 08/15/12
I guess I'm a little late in posting my opinion on Dr. Marema, which seems to be a little different than some of the others that have posted. But for those still looking for opinions on him..

Dr. Marema is a competent surgeon but I personally did not feel the "warm and fuzzies" from him post sleeve.  I had a GI complication a few months later and when I called and spoke to the nurse she asked me "what I expected Dr. Marema to do about it". (I was just seeking some guidance) The office had scheduled one of my post op visits about 10 days earlier than it should have been (don't even remember why) and because my weight loss was not what it would normally have been (because it was 10 days early-I was 100% compliant) he scolded me!  He then realized that it was because I was in early, but the scolding still hurt. Maybe I am/was over sensitive but I really needed some positive reinforcement, not to be made to feel that I had done something wrong.  As a result, I stopped going to the follow up visits.  I acknowledge that I was being a big baby about it but I've heard a lifetime worth of crap about my weight.

I lost 90 lbs but was not able to reach goal which would have been 30 more. Still was close enough to no longer be considered "fat" and to be treated as a normal human being. Unfortunately I developed severe GERD as a result of the sleeve. (this was NOT Dr. Marema's fault-it is a side effect that occcasionally happens with some patients. I was not aware of that but that's my fault for not researching as I should have. I just wanted the fat to go away and did not study the possible side effects as I should have. Still would have done it though)
So in year 5, the GERD created constant bouts of aspiration pneumonia and I was extremely sick for over a year.  No one could figure out what was wrong with my lungs!  After many tests, hospitalizations and doctors, they finally figured out it was stomach acid going into my lungs. I knew I had the GERD and was taking Nexium  but I wanted them to get the lung issue resolved before I addressed the GERD further, not realizing the GERD WAS the lung issue. During this year, due to steroids, feeling like crap and being depressed, I put on 50 lbs. My pouch stretched back out to almost regular size partially due to the acid erosion and partially due to my stuffing myself to feel better. 

The only fix for GERD this severe is...*drum roll* gastric bypass to keep the stomach acid from backing up and being aspirated.  I contacted Dr. Kim's office about a revision but his office manager told me he would not be interested in doing a revision for a "non compliant" patient. (???) She also told me there was no way insurance would cover this.  My pulmonologist and thoracic surgeon had highly recommended Dr. Jawad anyway, so I just had my sleeve converted to RNY 2 weeks ago by him. AND, unlike the first surgery, insurance DID cover it this time as the repeated assault of acid on my lungs was eventually going to kill me. I am resisting the urge to call Dr. Kim's office manager and say "nanner nanner". GERD is all gone and have already lost 13 lbs.  I am confident that I will make it to goal this time and I am also working very hard on the issues that cause me to medicate myself with food. One thing I learned, is that this is not a magic bullet. But the surgery IS a boost to get you going in the right direction.

Personally, I feel more of a sense of caring from Dr. Jawad. He kept me in the hospital an entire week as the surgery had to be open due to some complications but he was very very cautious and paid a lot of attention to all the details of my case.  I really felt like I was in good hands.  I'm sure part of all this attention was because I was not a typical case, but still feel less like "just a number" than I did with Dr. Marema's office.

So...Dr. Marema is, I think a good doctor. All physicians have to make a living and bariatric surgery is big business.  I just sometimes felt the business part seemed more important to him than the patient part.  It also kind of bothered me that he never disclosed that he is affiliated with the bariatric vitamin company he recommends to his patients.
Kim

blessedfornewday
on 10/7/12 10:46 am
 Has anyone had surgery with Dr. Marema end of 2011 or 2012 and thier experience?
squirrellady
on 8/1/08 11:49 am
I had surgery with Dr. Marema on June 25th. I was originally scheduled with Dr. Kim but when things fell apart he canceled my surgery. I thought that was unprofessional of him. The office told me about Dr. Maremea so I switched to him. At my first visit I was so thankful because I just had the feeling that everything happens for a reason and it was meant for Dr. M to do my surgery. He was wonderful and the surgery went very well. His care after surgery was wonderful as well as his associate in St. Augustine. I could not have had a better experience. I have nothing but admiration and respect for him. I saw him 2 weeks after my surgery and then at 6 weeks. I go back in 2 months and the last thing he said to me on my way out of the room is if I needed to come in sooner for anything that he would be there for me. This is just my experience so be sure to investigat on your own.
Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views