Dr. Marema anyone?

Kimberly H.
on 7/14/08 3:03 am - FL

I don't know if you calling will get it done any faster.  I know it's difficult waiting and waiting.  You could always call Kristina in the office.  She's wonderful. 

I looked at your profile and it says at the top you've decided on DS.  Do you know Dr. M does not do this?  He only does the Band, sleeve gastrectomy, and RNY - and the sleeve gastrectomy is not covered by insurance yet.  Just thought I'd fill you in.

Also, have you been to the informational seminar here at the hospital every Thursday night?  It's very informative.  Also, there is a support group the first Thursday of the month @ 7:30 - if you wanted to personally come and talk to more people, get more information, talk with patient's of Dr. M and other physicians.  It's quite a good group of people.  I'm sure you could get a lot of useful information.

If you don't mind, can I ask where you live? Are you close to the hospital? Why choose Dr. M. now?

sandra747
on 7/14/08 3:11 am

Well, first I have to change my profile! LOL. 

I don't know how I came to the conclusion that Dr M did open DS, but I did talk with the office this morning and found out he doesn't. SO anyway, I know that I will have to chose between the lap and rny. I do not like the lap idea at all, even though another co worker just had it done and is super happy with it. She thinks I would be crazy to go with the RNY.

The reason I had picked Dr M is he was working out of Celebration with Dr. Kim at the time and I am only about a 20 min drive from there. Now, I would have to have the surg in St. Augustine and follow up care at Celebration.

I did not know about the Thursday night thing, I just realized your probably talking about Flager Hosp??? Oh well, they have them here on Wednesdays, I go to OA at that time but I guess I can miss one to go to another seminar and get a refresher.

Kimberly H.
on 7/14/08 3:16 am - FL

I had the band four years ago with another surgeon.  I converted six months ago to the RNY with Dr. M.  Good luck with your decision.  I hope your insurance comes through for you soon.

Pattie-jean
on 7/14/08 8:49 am - winter Garden, FL

I met Dr M last week and really, really liked him.  I hope to have the sleeve done the first of Sept.  I live in Orlando but will have to go to Saint Augustine to have the surgery.  I have just begun doing all of the pre op stuff.  I am just afraid I will fail at this as I have all other diets!!!   I have a question to someone who has had the sleeve surgery.  About six weeks after my surgery I will be traveling to a family birthday party for a Aunt.  I will be staying with this aunt, my sister and mother.  I do not want them to know I had the surgery.  Will this be possible at only six weeks after surgery?

Patti-Jean

sandra747
on 7/15/08 12:08 am

I think at 6 weeks it would be trying to hide a pregnancy at 9 months! I heard great things about the sleave. I was introduced to a guy at work that had it done and he feels wonderful and has lost a large amount of weight. I believe he had it done over 8 months ago. I have not seen him since but he is a contracted worker and not always around.

I think you might have to spill the beans about your surg to ensure you are not stressed when you go.

jean4580
on 7/28/08 6:04 am - St. Augustine, FL
RNY on 06/01/05 with
I am post RNY for three years now and have no regrets. Dr. Marema does Inofrmaional Sessions fro Bariatric Surgery at the Lake Mary Events Center, in Lake Mary Florida. In August he is there every Tuesday starting at 7pm.

Always better to get there alittle earlier if possible. The one on Wednesday nights is Dr. Kim. People have traveled from different parts of the country and world to have Dr. Marema operate on them.
Kristen H.
on 7/15/08 11:36 am - Orlando, FL
Hi Sandra,

I worked for Drs Kim and Marema at US Bariatric Orlando for just over three years. I just left in April just before their partnership ended. Dr. Kim did my surgery in 2004 (RNY) and Dr. Marema did my husband's surgery (sleeve) in May 06. We are both at goal. I have a LOT of opinions, but I will just stick to the question asked: yes, he is a good surgeon. A very good surgeon. Dr. Kim is equally brilliant. My only concern is, what if you have a post-surgical complication? Will you have to go to St Augustine?
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
sandra747
on 7/15/08 10:37 pm
I was told my follow up care (post op) would be at celebrations. Although, it did occur to me, I do not think there is a doctor currently at that location???? 

I would be more than interested to here your opinions, you could pm me.
Kristen H.
on 7/16/08 6:41 am - Orlando, FL
Dr. Keith Kim is (and always has been) the bariatric medical director at Celebration. Florida Hospital Celebration hired him to open their bariatric program, so he is most definitely there. I will be following him since he was my surgeon. He is not only a great surgeon, but a great man as well.

Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
Kimberly H.
on 7/16/08 10:17 pm - FL
I think the other physicians are traveling to and from Orlando and St. Augustine to cover that office.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views