Dr. Marema anyone?

sandra747
on 7/13/08 2:22 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am working with Dr. Marema and I like him. Just looking for more feedback from anyone that was his patient.

Thank you

David Worker
on 7/13/08 4:01 pm - Orlando, FL

I know Dr. Marema, and he is an excellent Bariatric Surgeon.  He did not do my surgery, his partner at the time, Dr. Keith Kim did at Celebration Hospital in Orlando.

Dr. Marema also had bariatric surgery- gastric bypass (and I think his wife as well) and he openly discusses his personal experience.

Good Luck on your journey.. I am over two years post, and lost about 250 pounds. I feel amazing

sandra747
on 7/14/08 12:05 am

It's been 2 years since your surg, are you still happy with it? Did you have complications early on? Are you having any problems keep it off? Were you sick alot? Did you have a problem with feeling really hungry but unable to keep food down? (some of my concerns)

I had been confident in having the RNY, but I have been hearing many things about the DS which sound really good, but Dr M does not do the DS and I just spoke with his office this morning and they are not in favor of that type of WLS.  I know both are major decisions regardless, and because of that I think it actually be more important or equal to having the best surgeon over the type of surg.......just rambling.

It is nice to hear from someone that has been there.

Cruisinpat
on 7/14/08 10:26 pm

Please make sure that you get the right surgery for you. I was going to have the RNY before learning about the DS. The surgeon that was to do my RNY does not do the DS and, like your surgeon, he was not in favor of the DS. I decided that I had to do more research before moving forward with the RNY and I'm sure glad that I did. I changed surgeons and had to drive 3 hours for my surgery but that was okay with me. It was worth it for me. You need to do your research and go with what's good for you -- maybe that will be the RNY and maybe that will be the DS. I love my DS. I can eat almost anything without the fear of dumping. I don't have to watch my calories. I just need to insure that my protein comes first and that I take my supplements daily.

Might I suggest that you check out the RNY board and the DS board. Ask questions then make an informed decision. Good luck on your journey..................................Pat

Kristen H.
on 7/15/08 11:28 am - Orlando, FL
David!!

How are you, sweetheart??

Kristen (formerly of US Bariatric Orlando)
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
Luvitsunny
on 7/13/08 10:33 pm - Sunny South, FL

Hi Sandra.  Dr. Marema did not do my surgery but I did have my surgery at US Bariatrics in Fort Lauderdale by Dr. Perez, a partner.  I saw Dr. Marema several times and he is the one that presented when I was in decision about having WLS.  He is a very good surgeon.

See God's track record in your journey,

decide that you will trust Him. 

Kimberly H.
on 7/13/08 11:31 pm - FL

He is my surgeon. I'm 6 months out.   I have had a good experience. What would you like to know?

sandra747
on 7/13/08 11:59 pm

Hello,

I have heard only good things about him, but I am curious about his patients and their follow up care. Has he been accessable? Return calls promptly? taking your concerns seriousley and not blowing off your complaints?

Kimberly H.
on 7/14/08 12:23 am - FL

Yes, yes, and yes.  For the first year you follow up every three months, and then yearly thereafter. Blood work at six months.  With every visit, starting at 3 months, you see the nutritionist, physical therapist, and the mental health counselor, as well as the doctor.  This is all part of his normal routine follow up for his patients.  The other three people come to his office to see patients, they come in one after the other, all ending with seeing the doctor. 

My whole experience has not been free of "bumps" either, but all in all I think his whole office "rocks"!!!!!

sandra747
on 7/14/08 12:53 am

That is wonderful to hear. I know it is silly, but his office peeps were all very nice and so was he and everything I have heard.......so I am feeling alittle "STEPFORD" if you know what I mean.

I am still waiting for my stupid insurance. They had approved me once with Dr. Kim but that was at 80-20% (during his transition away from US) and now with Dr M it will be 100%, but they are just dragging their feet...maybe I should call myself????

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views