4 Years Out and Fighting the Weight .....

dmchuss
on 7/7/08 1:22 am - North Miami, FL
Hi All, Is there anyone out there that is 4 years + out and having trouble with maintaining weight. I go up and down but find that I can eat everything and all day if I allowed myself and, along with alcohol consumption, weight gain is again a battle for me. Donna
Michael Eak
on 7/7/08 5:08 am - Largo, FL
I'm only two years out and am the same way. But still stick with zero calorie drinks & no alcohol.
I've started researching and considering placing the Band on my RNY Pouch. I have an appointment in August to discuss this with my surgeon who has placed the banding on several RNYers. My lowest weight got down to 422 but now up to 500.

But placing the band upon my RNY was discussed and planned before my initial surgery too.

Mike
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
LaShonda
on 7/10/08 6:59 am - FL
Yes...I have the same problem. I'm almost 4 years out. I just posted this on the main board.... After a while, your appetite does increase. Do you still drink protein shakes and eat protein bars? The best way to fight hunger is to increase protein and liquids. I just got back on my shakes and I'm not constantly hungry anymore. Also, I don't crave all the sweets and junk that I was eating. Protein really works. I just purchased Nectar Cappuccino Latte yesterday. If you like coffee, this is great. You can make it hot or cold. There aren't many protein shakes I can tolerate. Also, you can snack on the "Oh Yeah! Good Grab"  protein bars. They are delicious. Hope this helps. Good luck. Also, do not drink alcohol, soda (diet or regular), or any other sugar-containing drinks. LaShonda
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/08 11:19 am - Orlando, FL
I've managed to gain weight too. .I'm 3.2 years out.  I tried the Five Day Pouch Test this week and I've lost 7 pounds! I've also increased my exercise.  I also use the site www.dailyplate.com to track what I'm eating.  Bottom line, I was eating way too many carbs and not enough protein or liquids.  Here is a link for the five day pouch test. http://www.5daypouchtest.com/ Good luck!
LaShonda
on 7/11/08 1:03 pm - FL

Thanks so much for this link. I was doing that and I hadn't even read the article. It really does work! I lost 6 lbs. this week also. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! 

Good luck,

LaShonda 

DawnVic
on 7/10/08 2:00 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I am not 4+ years out, I am about 2 years out of LapBand and struggle too.  I think we all go through times of struggle once the honeymoon period is over and we realize how much work this is and how hard it really is. My surgeon kept telling me that the tool was 5% of the work and the emotional aspect would be 95%.  I wondered how that could be?  When I have adequate restriction, I can do very well.  But, I have had repeated times of too much restriction with very little fluid in my band (4cc in a 12cc band) and had to have it all removed.  That was about a month ago for my stoma to heal and to schedule an UGI.  I had my UGI last week and a small fill, all is well... the outcome is that I have a small pouch and stoma which takes very little fluid in the band to give restriction.  I'm just going to be one of those people who is sensitive to it.  So, over the last month, I had absolutely no restriction and could eat way too much.  I swore I wouldn't go back to eating the things I had given up before and hadn't had in so long, but, once I got a taste, I got a little out of control.  It is so easy to lose control isn't it. So, I have some restriction now and am eating smaller amounts, but, still craving carbs.  I guess I need to do a liquid carb detox and get back on track.  I have a long way to go. So, you're not alone. Dawn
dmchuss
on 7/10/08 9:58 pm - North Miami, FL
Thanks Dawn, I thought of detoxing from carbs again myself, but can't seem to do it. I think that was the reason I was soooo sick for 3 months after the GBP. And whenever I give up carbs completely I seem to get low blood sugar and seem to have to eat them. Controlling them is my problem. I gained more than most and now having a hard time keeping it there. Although if you looked at me you wouldn't think so, but the doctor will KILL me if I saw him with these lbs on. Now I am thinking of joining WW or getting myself pscyhed to do it myself. Good luck to you as well. Donna
DawnVic
on 7/11/08 6:26 am - Jacksonville, FL
Donna, I need to get back on track too so let's do this together.  I get horrible diarrhea when I do all liquids so here is what I'm doing:  just protein and green veggies and getting myself back into ketosis.  Lots of water and at least 10 minutes of exercise per day.  No carbs whatsoever in the way of rice, potatoes, bread, sugar, etc.  In a few days, we won't even crave them anymore. Come on, let's all do this together gang!!!  Power in numbers.  We had this surgery for a reason, let's put our tools to work and focus on the future being thinner and healthier. Dawn
LaShonda
on 7/11/08 12:53 pm - FL

I agree. Count me in! I went on full liquids and protein on Wednesday of this week. By this morning, I had dropped 6 lbs. I'm not craving the carbs anymore either. My goal is to lose 5lbs a week for the next 10-11 weeks. From what I've experienced so far by going back to the diet, it DOES work. Use your tool! Today was the first day that I ate a normal meal for dinner (steamed fish and summer blend vegetables) since Monday. I was surprised at how small of a portion I needed to get full.

PROTEIN is sooooo powerful. What a powerful effect it has on the brain!!!! Make sure you get plenty (at least 85 grams per day). I've been taking in about 130-150 grams with plenty of water. 

The three components of success are:

1. PROTEIN

2. WATER

3. EXERCISE 

Yes, we had this surgery for a reason. Let's not let it all be in vain. In addition, revisions are even more risky sometimes. Revision is not an option for me. I WILL make this work. Lets stay in touch and support each other.

Good luck,

LaShonda 

Kristen H.
on 7/13/08 11:58 am - Orlando, FL
Hi Donna,

I was stable until January when I had a mini-stroke due to a cyst in my brain. I have gained between 18 - 20 pounds, it's relatively stable. I am going to focus more on my pouch rules since I am amazed what has snuck back into my diet. That's what was great about working with Dr. Kim - he was always watching what everyone ate.
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr