OT: Winter Springs, FL

JustinsMama
on 7/5/08 1:06 am - NC
Hello all :)  Can anyone here tell me about Winter Springs, FL?  We are contemplating moving there in a couple of years and was hoping it truly was a family friendly place. I've been reading over on the Orlando City-Data forums and if I were to believe everything said there, Florida is one big crime-ridden cesspool of humanity. I just want a nice place for my family to live (young son) and love all the theme parks, etc. of central Florida but also that Florida as a whole has so much to do (we get bored in our area of NC). Thanks to anyone that can give any opinions/insight! -Heather

282/226/199   

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Jaclynn00
on 7/5/08 3:11 am - Riverview, FL
I live in Riverview Fl which is about 15 miles south of Tampa.  (70 mls SW of Orlando).  I travel to Orlando for 1 week per month for training, So I know the area pretty well.  First, let me say that wherever you go, there will be crime.  I was born and raised in a small town in Ohio where it seemed the whole world was roses.  However, we were 30 minutes from Cleveland that was definately NOT friendly. I LOVE Florida.  It's hotter than he## during July, August and most of September, but everyone has central air.  (MOST anyways). I live in a nice neighborhood, and we have friends in all the of Tampa-Metro area.  There are places I will not go after 8pm, but that's just being smart.  My kids are in good schools- yet there are kids that have difficulty.  Mine do not.  I think it all depends on how you act towards folks- If you are nice, most others are too.  There's always gonna be somebody having a bad day.  Hope you enjoy Florida!
JustinsMama
on 7/5/08 5:56 am - NC
Thank you for the response!

282/226/199   

Kelly C.
on 7/5/08 7:39 am - Ocoee, FL
I live in Ocoee which is about 20 -30 minutes from Winter Springs.  As a matter of fact anything in the Orlando area is 20-30 minutes away from everything else.  Winter Springs is a growing area and there is a lot of newness taking over the older parts of the town.  This is good - it was needed.  About the crime, I have lived here all of my life and feel incredibly safe.  I agree that crime is everywhere and if you look for it you will find it.  Seminole county is safe and actually one of the most affluent counties in the area - I wouldn't worry about crime anymore there than anywhere else in the world.  Good luck on your upcoming move.   :) Kelly P.S. Funny thing is, I would love to be in NC!  It is my favorite place to vacation.  Hahaha.  :)

Jeremiah 29:11-For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

JustinsMama
on 7/5/08 8:19 am - NC
Thanks Kelly, tell you what - we can house trade sometime to check each other's area out ;)

282/226/199   

Kelly C.
on 7/7/08 12:43 pm - Ocoee, FL
Hahaha!  You would have to put up with my roommate for that one and it is not a fun experience.  LOL!

Jeremiah 29:11-For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

RavenLunatic
on 7/8/08 11:19 am - Deltona, FL
I have lived in FL.  most all my life.. I was brought up in Tallahassee, and moved to the central FL. Area , In the mid 80's. I currently live in Deltona,  ( I hate this area ) I prefer, the winter park, Lake Mary, Heathrow area myself. My Brother lives in Apopka, And that area is growing quickly, and is shaping up to be a nice community. There is something in the central FL. area for Everyone.. Just research the area you are thinking of moving to. And all will be fine !
Randy "RavenLunatic" Cooke
JustinsMama
on 7/8/08 12:21 pm - NC

Thanks for the reply!

282/226/199   

agreene5
on 7/9/08 9:12 am
Heather, I live in Oviedo, FL which is next to Winter Springs. My Husband and I are opening a business in Winter Springs.  I've heard the schools in Winter Springs are excellent. They have a beautiful new town center were events are going on all the time. I'm originally from NY.  I moved to FL in 1989.  I love it here.  Yes, It gets brutually hot in the summer but as long as your home and car is air conditioned, you'll be fine. When we do have cool weather it's great. We've lived in our neighborhood for 9 years.  We love were we live and get along well with all our neighbors. The town of Oviedo is also building a new town center and my grandchildren go to a very good elementary school. I'm sure both Oviedo and Winter Springs have web pages.  You should check them out. Best of Luck. Arlene
JustinsMama
on 7/9/08 10:48 am - NC
Thanks Arlene!  I've been looking into Oviedo too and have heard great things about it as well.  We basically just want to find a nice, safe place to live and raise our son (but be close to all the stuff we love in central Florida).  We'll be down there on vacation in August and are going to try to drive through both towns just to get a feel for both. Thanks again and I wish you much success with your new business!

282/226/199   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views