WHERE TO START!!??

mellysarah03
on 6/23/08 8:14 am - Fort Myers, FL

I am in SOUTH WEST FLorida. Fort Myers to be exact. Does anyone know where I even begin to find out about Gastric bypass. I already know all about the surgery I know what I want done. However, A) my PCP is not an advocate of this surgery should I be looking for a new PCP who is? B) There doesnt seem to be ANYONE within 50+ miles of here that does the RNY gastric bypass. Only the LAP BAND HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

suesue53
on 6/23/08 9:49 pm - Central Florida, FL
Have you checked with the Doctor in Port Charlotte? I thought that doctor did both RNY and Lap Band. Susan

mellysarah03
on 6/24/08 6:25 am - Fort Myers, FL
All the ones I have found in ***** Gorda and Port Char. seem to only do the Lap-band
kindredspirit fl
on 6/25/08 11:27 pm - islander, FL
You are in luck!!!Dr Gagner just moved to Miami.He is one of the top surgeons doing WLS.You owe it to your self to visit and ask questions on all the boards here.That would include the revisions board.Have you checked into the DUODENAL SWITCH?Check out the board,there are so many pluses to it.A fully functioning stomache for one,no pouch to srtetch out and get stomas,NO dumping,And I would look for a new PCP,the results we are having with WLS are obvious and well documented.Alot more than weight loss is going on here.Better for all aspects of our lives and bodies.Good luck!

kindred spirits

Snuffy65
on 6/26/08 3:22 am - Saginaw, MI
I personally wouldn't change PCP.  There are many great doctors that are not advocates of all kinds of things.  Any WLS is not a guarauntee.  There is some serious risks to any of them also.  A doctor goes by what will make you healthier with the less risk.  Bottom line: If he is a good doctor to you, I wouldn't let this bother you.  
jsh3323
on 6/26/08 5:45 am, edited 6/26/08 5:46 am - FL
Unless you have a long term and genuine relationship with your PCP I'd broom him / her. You need supportive partners in all of this. Also, you look young. Please reconsider the band. I was dead set on the RNY until I educated myself.
mellysarah03
on 6/26/08 1:04 pm - Fort Myers, FL
Firstly. In response to the coment about my PCP Im not all to fond of her for other reasons. Thats just the "icing" on the proverbial cake. Thats why I want to give her the axe. Secondly, yesm I  am pretty dead set on RNY. However, I am open to more info. I feel as though the RNY would bring about the best results in me. So please let me know why anyone thinks otherwise one person mentioned the DS which I know nothing about. and another the Lap band which I know some about.
Redhaired
on 6/30/08 8:01 am - Mouseville, FL
You can get more information about the DS on the DS forum.  I had the DS almost two years ago and it was absolutely the best thing for me.  I have lost 142lbs and I feel terrific.  OK, to be honest, today I do not feel so terrific.  I had the second part of my Lower body lift last week and sitting at the computer is a little much right now.  But I promise I will get back to you in a day or so.  In the interim please check here http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/  And please send me a PM with any specific questions you have about the DS. Red

Robina3778
on 6/27/08 1:04 pm - Orlando, FL
About a year before I ever considered surgery, I made an appointment with my PCP to discuss my weight. At the time, I didn't think surgery was for me, so I wasn't looking for his approval on that. I was actually hoping he could refer me to a nutritionist so they could help tailor a diet to my needs. He thought I was just looking for prescription weight loss meds, and told me they were just a crutch and that I needed to decrease my caloric intake and exercise. That was the last time I saw him.
I do hop around from doctor to doctor a lot though. I feel that if you're not comfortable with the person you are trusting with your medical care, you should find someone you do feel comfortable with.
I found my current doctor from this site. She was rated and recommended by other people on this site. On my first appointment with the new doc, I told her I was interested in the Lap Band and she was all for it. I have never had a doctor who has been so supportive and who listens to me like she does.
As far as your surgeon is concerned, do you have insurance and is it covering the RNY? If so, see where they are sending you. There are a few Band and RNY surgeons in the Orlando area, but Aetna is sending me to Ocala, which is about an hour and a half away from me. It's fine with me. They're paying for the majority of the surgery (I pay $250) and my surgeon has a great reputation. I hate Ocala (the roads are so confusing and I get really lost) but it's so worth it for me. I'm not going to let a little thing like a long drive to a place I hate going to stop me from getting the surgery that will help me get healthy.
I wish you lots of luck!

-Robin
Start/Surgery/Current/Goal
 286248  226  /

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views