Salads

privatepath1
on 5/30/08 8:14 am - NF City, FL

I am 11 wks post op from lap rny - when is it safe to try a salad?

Ruth S.
on 5/30/08 11:01 am - Orlando, FL
Always check with your surgeon's office or nutritionist but salads are light fare so it might be okay to try. I would say though take small portions (hahha) only because you might not be able to digest it properly. I know i was able to eat salads a couple weeks after surgery but then i started having problems with gas...not sure if it was the leafy greens, tomatoes or dressings but every since I could not eat it without getting really sick. ...that's not to say that's everyone.
Ruth S.
Aphrodites
on 6/2/08 3:55 am - FL
I am  about 11 weeks out today and I am having salad for the very first time today. It is sooo yummy. I am having a small garden salad with a sprinkle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and the only dressing the place had was ranch so I am having 1/2 teaspoon of the ranch. I am eating it really really slow and making sure I chew the heck out of it. I think technically we should wait 3 months after surgery, but my surgeon gave me the ok. gl

My Food Blog 

sandyfeets
on 6/2/08 10:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

Usually most folks start trying raw veggies about 12 weeks post-op.  Start with soft lettuces and tomatoes.  Then add darker greens, and other vegetables.   Raw carrots are pretty hard to digest.  

TINY BITES and chew, chew, chew!!  

Also, go for full fat dressings.  Low-fat have high fructose corn syrup in them to make up for the lost "thickness" of the oil.  Lots of us dump on the corn syrup.  Also, the vitamins in DARK leafy greens are fat soluble vitamins and need FAT to be absorbed.  

Tami H.
on 6/2/08 1:51 pm - Winter Park, FL
getting use to your pouch is individual. sometimes it likes a food, then the next day spits it out! I waited till 4-5 months, but mine is tempermental. took me two years before I could eat steak! I agree with the rest of the wisdom here, chew, chew, chew!!
blessings, Tami Remember, nothing tastes as good as THIN feels!! http://www.marykay.com/tami
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views