OT: Need help with Vacation Beach Info.. PLEASE :)

cindymissouri
on 5/29/08 2:31 am
RNY on 01/06/15
Hi,   I have been to Florida only one time in my life and it was the Destin / Ft Walton Beach area, and it was beautiful but we now want to to to the Atlantic side and I have no idea what to do or where to stay.  My father says go to Daytona Beach, however, i am in my mid 40's with a 12 and 14 year old, and am reading that Daytona Beach is the busiest beach.  I would prefer a quiet, family oriented beach, more private than overrun with teens.  I don't want to go more than an hour south of  Daytona because it is so far from me, driving time, but north is fine.  Some people say Ormond or Daytona Beach Shores instead of Daytona, but is that far enough away or do most people flock there?  I am running out of time, so any help on a beautiful beach area would be greatly appreciated.  I do not have to go to the most popular area, but would like a hotel on the beach if i can find one I can afford thats clean :)  I also hear Cocoa and New Smyrna beach is nice, but don't know anything about these areas having never been there at all, or anywhere Atlantic Side. As i said, North is fine too, as long as the beach is nice.   Thanks for your help in advance. CIndy

Lost 34 lbs before surgery

Kelly C.
on 5/29/08 6:01 am - Ocoee, FL
Personally, if I go to the Atlantic side, I will go to Cocoa because it is clean and close to where I live.  If you stay in the Cocoa area, you can spend some time at Kennedy Space Center - someting your family may enjoy.  I like the parks there and the fact that there is no driving on the beach.  New Smyrna is really nice, too.  I spent most of my summers there as a kid.   Daytona is not what it used to be as far as outrageous parties and such.  A family would have a great time there and there are activities to keep the kids busy.  There really isn't a huge difference between the Daytona area beaches you mentioned.  I would probably base my decision on what hotel offers the best deal.   Of course, if you want a beautiful beach only a few hours away - check out Siesta Key (on the Gulf side). 

Jeremiah 29:11-For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Luvitsunny
on 5/29/08 2:00 pm - Sunny South, FL
I agree Cocoa Beach is good...you might look into St. Augustine and Vero Beaches as well.    Remember on the Atlantic side you need to be aware of rip tide/currents.  And, of course, the waves are higher....I love riding the waves on a good canvas air float/mattress.  Also, you won't find that wonderful "white" sand that the Destin and Panama City Beaches have.  My nephew is in Deland, FL, which is around Daytona.  He likes that area.  Whereever you go, I hope you have a wonderful vacation. luvitsunnyv

See God's track record in your journey,

decide that you will trust Him. 

cindymissouri
on 5/29/08 4:15 pm
RNY on 01/06/15
Hi, and thanks to all who have answered.. I was really hoping someone would chime in with how it is In Northeast Florida, as far as the white sands, i didn't like them :)  It was beautiful to look at but a pain to walk in, very soft and just horrible how far you sunk in it, maybe after the 82 lbs i wouldnt sink as far LOL..   I really hate making a reservation and not knowing if i will like it or not, and then none of the hotels refund for leaving early, i am not rich.  THanks again

Lost 34 lbs before surgery

John Hoffmann
on 5/30/08 1:50 am - Baltimore, MD
Cindy, I live on the Southeast coast of Florida, the "Gold Coast", Palm Beach/Fort Lauderdale/Miami area.  I wouldnt recommend this area for what your looking for, although it is very beautiful and hot here.  I dont know anything north of here (we kinda live in our own little world here).  I would recommend Marco Island on the Southwest Gulf coast, just south of Fort Myers, pretty laid back and quiet this time of year and its quite a bit different from the panhandle beaches where you were before.  Good luck wherever you end up. John
nudijudi
on 5/31/08 6:43 pm - lutz, FL
I lived in south Florida on the Atlantic Coast for 18 years.  I also wouldn't suggest there for what you are looking for. I now live near Tampa, but haven't been to the beaches here. I personally like the Gulf beaches best.  I love Sanibel/Captiva Island near Fort Meyers.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views