Question for Dr Jawad's patients...

Robina3778
on 5/12/08 5:37 am - Orlando, FL
Hello,
I am going through my pre-op requirements right now and I have a question. I have a touch of GERD (not bad at all, but it has been diagnosed) and because of the GERD, Dr Jawad is sending me for an esophageal monometry. Apparently he requires it for people with GERD.
I asked about the procedure on the Lap Band forum, but not a lot of people have heard of it. It seems to me that it's one of those things that varies from surgeon to surgeon.
Dr. Jawad's office is 2 hours away from me, so rather than drive out there to have the test done, I decided to have it done locally. I went for the test today but I really could not bear it. I have a pretty high tolerance, but this was beyond what I can handle. I lasted about 5 minutes, if that. It's about a 30-40 minute test. The funny thing is that the only place locally that even does this test is the children's hospital, so they were using a smaller catheter, but I still couldn't handle it.
So here's my question, does anyone know if they have to have that test even with very minor GERD cases, or maybe if there is an alternate test that they would be willing to perform (perhaps one where I would be knocked out)?
I appreciate any info you can give me.

Robin
Start/Surgery/Current/Goal
 286248  226  /

Redhaired
on 5/13/08 12:11 am - Mouseville, FL
Wow, I think this is a question that will need to be addressed by your surgeon.  He ordered the test and knows what kind of information he is looking to get from it. Red

Kelly C.
on 5/14/08 1:39 pm - Ocoee, FL
I have Dr. Jawad and had GERD - but not to the extent of needing tests.  I would call Kevin at Dr. Jawad's office and ask his opinion - possibly he can recommend another treatment.  Goo luck to you. 

Jeremiah 29:11-For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Robina3778
on 5/14/08 2:05 pm - Orlando, FL
Oh wow, Kevin pretty much made it sound to me like it was standard if you have GERD. Maybe that was just for the Lap Banders. He did say that if the test showed the GERD to be to severe I wouldn't be able to get the Band, but RNY would be ok.
But you're right, I think I will try to get a hold of him tomorrow. Hopefully I hear good news.

-Robin
Start/Surgery/Current/Goal
 286248  226  /

NeeNee1971
on 6/12/08 2:27 pm - FL
Did you get a hold of anyone to answer your question? My husband and I had GERD but did the lap RNY so we did not need the test you are asking about. Hope you got answers.
Pre Surgery  352  Surgery  346 ~ Current  198  Goal  180
Mommy to: Emma Grace 7/23/03 ~ Erin Faith 12/5/05 ~ Kayley Olena 9/17/08

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views