Support groups in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale???

Jay H.
on 5/9/08 7:50 am - Miami, FL
I am pre op and would like to attend some support group meetings either in miami or ft. lauderdale.  I will be having RNY next month. Thanks, Jay
John Hoffmann
on 5/9/08 9:44 am - Baltimore, MD
Jay, you may want to check with the hospital where your having your surgery.  Most of them have support groups.  I had my surgery at Cleveland Clinic in Weston, I think they have one once a month. I attend a group at the Renfrew Center in Deerfield Beach, may be out of the way for you, but if you want more info let me know.  Good luck. John
Jay H.
on 5/9/08 12:33 pm - Miami, FL
Thanks man, I might just want to check that out.  I have to tell you, when I first started looking at this site, i was preparing for the surgery I was suppose to have a few weeks ago ( has been postponed ), anyway, i was looking at the before and after pics, and your pics blew me a way.  Man, you really lost some weight and look so different.   Congrats.  Has a been an easy ride, or a tough one?  How was Rosenthal, I was going to use him, met him, but did not like his office staff, the whole place gave me a feeling of an airport terminal.  I would appreciate the info on renfrew. Jay
John Hoffmann
on 5/9/08 1:43 pm - Baltimore, MD
Hey Jay, I'll send you a note Saturday, heading to bed now, happy to help in any way I can, thanks for the compliments. John
Aphrodites
on 5/12/08 2:07 am - FL
Why don't you start going to some of the support meetings from Dr. de la Cruz? Since he is your surgeon it's a great way of getting to know other people who have had the surgery with him and it's also a really great way of getting to know his office staff. I'm going to the one they are having this Wednesday at Hialeah hospital. Let me know if you go and I can look for you.

My Food Blog 

lovepink21
on 5/12/08 5:06 am - MIami, FL

I have a question. Are you having hair loss. I am so worried..I know it is something to expect however, the amount of hair that I'm loosing is ridiculous!! Do you know of anything I can take or help??

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/08 6:15 am - Hialeah, FL
I did about a month ago....it is the lack of nutrients and protein that ur body is receiving! I drink 300mcg of biotin and 1000 mg of fish oil everyday!
StaceyS
on 5/14/08 8:58 am - Coral Springs, FL
Hi Jay, Your doctor's office should have given you information regarding your support group meetings. It's definitley helpful to meet others going through the same thing. My next support group meeting at Cleveland Clinic Weston is at 5PM on Monday.  From what I understand, all are welcome. Good luck to you!!

Highest - 330     Liquid diet - 326   Surgery day -  308.5
AOL IM: Staceyshoppersfl

dbk1009
on 5/15/08 9:47 am - Coral Springs, FL
Unfortunately, not all hospitals feel that way. My wife had RNY on 4/16/08, and we live in Coral Springs. She had the surgery at the Cleaveland Clinic, and we have a 4 year old. It is not easy for her to get to Weston, or get a sitter so she can go. I tried helping her find a local support group, but the 2 closer hospitals have their support groups for "Patients of the hospital only".  I did find an open group in Coconut Creek at the Renfrew center. The group is generally for people 6 months or more, but they took her in anyway. Her 1st meeting was this past Tuesday, and I think they are every other Tuesday at 6:15PM. It is free and open.  PS- She is not really comp literate, so I am browsing this site for her and getting my own info as well....
StaceyS
on 5/20/08 11:21 am - Coral Springs, FL

Well since she had the surgery at CCW, she should definitley try and go to the chat group once a month. It's a great meeting. I'm in Coral Springs as well and it's only a 20 minute ride to the hospital.  For the support I get there, I'd drive hours, but to each her own. Good luck!

Highest - 330     Liquid diet - 326   Surgery day -  308.5
AOL IM: Staceyshoppersfl

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views