At My Wits End

KDay78
on 4/28/08 7:11 am - Philly Girl In the Sunshine State, FL
I have gone 10 months without seeing any doctor since I have moved to Florida and I can not get any helpful information from the insurance company or the doctor's offices.I first started out with United Healthcare and the customer service was horrible.I switched to WellCare and asked them if the Dr. I was considering going to would be covered,they told me yes but when I called the doctor's office,they tell me that he is only covered for general surgery and that anything having to do with weight loss surgery is considered an elective.I called back to the insurance company and they said that they would cover the office visits but for some reason the Dr.'s office doesn't seem to accept that.I explained I already had the surgery almost 2 years ago but I need a Dr. for office visits and fills/unfill.I also have no feeling of restriction at all and I had my last and final fill before I moved to Florida.I called offices from Ocala to Tampa to find a Dr. as well as my insurance company and I don't know if its lack of communication but I am not making any progress.Can anyone tell me exactly how I should go about this process.Should I find a primary care doctor who can do the research for me?I have no idea what the policies and procedures are here and the insurance company acts as if they never even heard of the LapBand or any other weight loss surgery
MsJazzyMiss
on 4/28/08 10:26 am
Hi - have you tried searching for bariatric surgeons that do lap bands here in FLA?  You can use this web site to search.  Just select "find a bariatric surgeon".  There are quite a few in the area and I am sure if you call they will be able direct you in the right direction.  Good luck with your search and welcome to FLA.
Redhaired
on 4/28/08 10:19 pm - Mouseville, FL
I know from reading on this board for several years that it is difficult to find a surgeon who will accept Medicaid and I have read that medicaid does not cover all WLS procedures.  So it sort of kinda makes sense that the doc is saying that yes they will pay for the office visit ie the opportunity to talk to the doctor and be examined, but that medicaid may not cover anything directly related to your band, ie fills or unfills.  You may have to self pay for your actual band maintenance. Red

tinkerbell64
on 4/29/08 12:33 pm - St. Petersburg, FL
If you haven't already tried, you may want to try Dr. Murr / Dr. Gallagher USF physicians that practice at Tampa General.  They may be able to help you with your fills. Good Luck,

glitter_maker_11_16_2007_12_14_42_9.gif picture by montanamvp3 

sds1arm2
on 5/14/08 6:17 am - Orlando, FL
Try Dr. M Jawad. He has offices in Ocala, Orlando, Jacksonville. Dr. Keith Kim in located in Celebration.
Ali

MRS.GLOVER
on 5/14/08 10:43 am

Dr.Tiffany Jessee is my doctor and she is the best. she is in Largo.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views