PS w/ Residents at USF

JTR
on 4/18/08 8:21 pm - FL
Has anyone had plastic surgery at University of South Florida Medical School residents. Understand thay have board certified Surgeon assisting and charge 1/2 the price. I would like to hear about experience.
jenzstory
on 4/20/08 6:12 am - Brandon, FL
Had breast augmentation done on Feb 4th. Dr. Smith did my tummy tuck last year, and he is the one supervising the residents. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this program and everyone that is involved. So I would make an appt at least for a consult so you can meet them and get a quote.... Let me know if you have any more questions! Take care~ Jen
JTR
on 4/20/08 10:24 am - FL
Did you have to stay on hospital or do they have a surgery center?  Is the fee all inclusive? How often did you have to go back for followup?  I live in Jacksonville so that is a concern. Did not know how long I'd have to stay there. Is Dr. Smith a resident as well? How were their fees? Is there a consultation fee as well? Thanks!
jenzstory
on 4/20/08 11:50 am - Brandon, FL
For my breast aug, it was done at a surgery center. I went back at 2 weeks and @ 5 weeks out. The fee is based on your actual surgery, and amout of time you are under. The center fee was $750, from what I remember. Dr. Smith is not a resident, he is the Dr. in charge of the residents and the program. No consult fee, as long as you tell them you are interested in the resident program when you make the appt. I made my appt in December, my original appt was for march 19 but I was on a cancellation list, so I got in at the end of jan, and had my surgery the next week.  Good luck and let me know if you need anything else! Jen
FLGail
on 4/20/08 2:15 pm - Sun City, AZ
Hi Jen, I also was wondering about the program at USF? Were you happy with the surgery done on you? and what was the charge for it to be done besides the surgery center? Was the the physican supervisinfg Dr. Paul Smith?  Thanks for the info. Gail
jenzstory
on 4/20/08 9:41 pm - Brandon, FL
Yes I was happy with BOTH of my surgeries that were done by the USF physicians group. I had an circumfrential tummy tuck (all the way around cut & lift) done 12/06, and I had my breast augmentation done with the resident program. Dr. David Smith did my tummy, and Dr. Lee did my breasts with Dr. Smith there watching. The residnets are not alone. You have to think about it this way....anything that you have done at Tampa General will have residents/students involved....it is a teaching hospital. That is just how it goes.You sign all the paperwork about it when you get there. The only difference with the resident program is that they are the primary doc doing it. The cost for my breast augmentation came to just about $4300....that was at a surgery center....no lift (i didn't need it) I paid for surgery center fee, anestesia, surgeon fee, and implants.  I can look up the details, but every surgery is different. I didn't pay for my tummy so that would take some looking into, to get you those costs(and it wasn't on the resident program) Take care~ Jen
FLGail
on 4/21/08 2:20 am - Sun City, AZ
Hi Jen, Thanks so much in letting me know. A girlfriend of mine had breast cancer and Dr. Paul Smith is doing her reconstruction in a few weeks. It sounds real interesting to me since plastics are so expensive. I still want to have my arms done. I am defintely going to look into this. Thanks again for the info Gail
charsurgery
on 9/26/16 12:15 pm
Revision on 12/07/16

You said Dr. David Smith did your tummy tuck. Was that through the discount resident surgery program? If not, how come?

Dr. David Smith is the Chairman of the residency program now in 2016.

Have you ever had any surgery with Paul Smith, his brother? If so what was it and how did it turn out?

Charsurgery

Mirabelle
on 4/22/08 1:43 am
Dr David Smith is Chief of Plastic Surgery. Dr Paul Smith is in the same office but the residents are under David Smith.

Current weight:120 and still 5'4

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views