Newbie here in Jax!

Nicole S.
on 4/6/08 7:39 pm - Jacksonville, FL

Hi my name is Niki. I just moved to Jacksonville in October. Im going to talk to my doctor on Thursday  about wls. im hoping this doctor is more open than my last primary care doctor. ive been having more health issues lately. like sleep apnea, high blood preasure, knee pain, asthma bothering me alot more. just to name a few. I'm seeing a primary care doctor at Shands here in Jax. im hoping she'll listen to me more than my doctor in New Mexico did. Well really I just wanted to say Hi and im looking for a few new Florida Friends! Thanks for listening Niki

sandyfeets
on 4/7/08 11:58 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

Welcome to Jax Niki.  

Shands is a GOOD hospital associated with the U of F.

If you don't have luck with finding a WLS friendly PCP at Shands, post here and someone will give you some names.  

There are only about 4 surgical groups in Jax that do WLS (Lapband, RNY, or VSG)  Most surgeries are done at St. Vincents, Baptist or Memorial.  

mskeeley
on 4/11/08 11:13 am - Orange Park but my heart is in MD, FL
Hi Niki and welcome to the area I wish you the best. Pam
abandster
on 4/13/08 8:09 am
Welcome to Jacksonville, Niki.  I'm a wls support group leader here in Jax and we have a meeting on the 3d Saturday out in Mandarin, if you're interested.  We also have a meeting on the 1st Saturday of the month in Arlington, if that's a better location for you. I completely understand about the problems caused by obesity.  I had sleep apnea but didn't even know it until my surgeon ordered a study.  I had horrible knee pain and high blood pressure.   And my PCP (who's in Arlington) was quick to agree to give me a referal for my surgery.   And, like Sandy said, there are few surgeons here who do wls but the list is growing.  Dr. Webb and Dr. Cywes both operate at Memorial.  Dr. Awad and one other surgeon is at Shands.  Dr. Herrera and Dr. Chappano are at St. Vincent's and Baptist is just getting up and going over there and I'm sorry I don't know the surgeon's name. Dr. Merema is at Flagler Hospital in St. Augustine.  Dr. Jawad and Dr. Overcash are in Ocala and Dr. Jawad has a local office here in the Mandarin area.    There is also a surgeon in Gainesville at the Shands hospital there.   So, you do have some options, depending on your insurance and who's on your list. And, again, like Sandy said.....post if you need a PCP or want some feedback on local surgeons.   I'd be happy to help you in any way I can and would love for you to join us for a meeting.  I started the group PRIOR to my surgey because I think pre op support is extremely important. Hope to hear from you soon.  At the least, let us know what the doc at Shands had to say. La Wanda

B Girl
on 4/14/08 4:02 am
Hello and Welcome!  I had RNY with Dr. Yasrebi last year.  Memorial Hospital was an excellent facility.  They even had private bariatric rooms.  We're all here to help, so please let me know if I can answer any questions for you.
AshleyDillo
on 4/25/08 3:16 pm - Tallahassee, FL

Wow..it's nice to see some Jax people here.

I'm also looking into the surgery.  I've been doing research for 5 years and finally got a real job (one with PTO and benefits) and then of course I heard that BCBS excludes WLS.  So I gave up since I don't have $30K lying around to self-pay.  Now I'm curious because there is a rider..but I have no idea how to figure out if my insurance has it or not.  I'm on COBRA and can't really call the HR coordinator and find out.   So grrr... Do the programs in Jax handle most of the insurance stuff for you?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views