Surgery date May 5th and have a question or 2

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/08 9:21 pm - FL
JFK medical center....very excited and getting pre op testing done...any suggestions for a liquid diet prior surgery? I am not required but was advised to do protein to help shrink liver... Do most surgeons remove gallbladder at rny?
sassie123
on 3/26/08 10:50 pm - Tarpon Springs, FL
Hi, Definetly to the 2 week liquid diet, its just more weight your will loose before surgery!!  Plus as they say it does help shrink the liver and that makes it easier for the Dr's to do their job. My surgeon did not remove my gallbladder so not sure if "most" do. Congrats on your up coming surgery!!! Anne
Beatriz A.
on 3/27/08 2:33 am - Sunny Miami, FL
I do not think "most" surgeons remove gallbladder during RNY, only if necessary.
Beatriz
jonelle32514
on 3/27/08 7:56 am - Pensacola, FL
My Dr did an ultrasound on me to look at my gallbladder.  Mine was not removed.  I only had to do a 2 day liquid diet prior to surgery.  I had open rny. 

287/113
SurgeryWeight/CurrentWeight
5'10"

DawnVic
on 3/27/08 7:59 am - Jacksonville, FL
Hey there, The surgeon should look at the gallbladder and if it is healthy and there are no stones or problems, he shouldn't remove it as it is not medically necessary.  In the old days, if a surgeon was in the belly for any reason, they would automatically remove it and the appendix just because they were in the neighborhood. I had LapBand and had to do clear liquids for 3 days pre-op and 5 days post op.  As far as protein liquids go, I like good old Atkins shakes.  High in protein and low in carbs.  If you need clear liquids with protein- check into "Whey Up" protein drinks.  I get them from Bariatric Eating.com.  They were just on sale so I bought a case of each.  I like the taste, I guess my only complaint is that I sometimes get heartburn with the citric acid in them, otherwise- yummy and easy.  Pre-made is always more expensive but very convenient.  EAS ready made protein drinks are good too. Good luck, Dawn
DawnVic
on 3/27/08 8:01 am - Jacksonville, FL
I forgot to add that I absolutely love Diet V-8 splash.  The orange one is better than the red.  You can make popsicles out of them and Whey up by putting a little in a small cup in the freezer and add a popsicle stick in when partially frozen.  Yummy, cold low carb treat. Dawn
Mirabelle
on 3/29/08 4:13 am
My surgeon removes all patients gallbladder, I didn't question it at all but he did tell me if he didn't the percentage is very high it will need to be removed soon after so why do two surgeries when gallbladder not needed to begin with.  Re; to protein I was not required but one month prior I started to make sure I got 60-80 grams daily as it helps heal the body faster when you have "any" surgefry and since we don't store it you need to keep it up after. I get over 100 grams daily and I am 3 years out.

Current weight:120 and still 5'4

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/08 11:01 pm - FL
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions :)
shaejr
on 4/1/08 8:59 am - Riverview, FL
Hello Please do your research, I had a surgeon that refuse to take my gallbladder and that was one of the reasons i changed surgeons.  Most people, but not all end up getting their gallbladder out 6 months to a 1 year after surgery due to gallstones.  I don't know about you, but I don't want to go back under if i can avoid it the first time around.  A lot of doctors don't because of the two major surgeries in one. But a lot do because to the complications afterwards.  So do your research and decide if you want to heal all at once or deal with another surgery down the line.  Good luck with your decision making and talk with your surgeon also. Shae
vickie1973
on 4/14/08 1:00 pm - Palm Beach Gardens , FL
Hi I go to jfk medical center my dr. is larson but i had the lap band surgery done. the whole staff is terrific!! never met simon though i hear he is nice! good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views