having surgery out of state??? need a doc here to do check ups

Rita T.
on 3/10/08 3:38 am - Clearwater, FL
I'm sure I can't be the only one who has done this so here is my question. I live in Tampa but I am having a lap RNY in michigan (why? because its half the price). I talked to my Primary Care Physician and she said that I need to find a doctor down here that would treat me if any things go wrong post surgery so i wouldn't have to fly back up to michigan. However she said that the bariatric doctors at USF would not take on a patient who had the surgery through another doctor.  So who do i go to in this situation. Anyone here had their surgery out of state? Anyone know of a doctor who takes in patients if something goes wrong that had the surgery out of state? thanks for any advice that is coming my way!
sandyfeets
on 3/10/08 8:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

There is an unwritten rule amount surgeons, it kind of goes like this, "You cut it, YOU own it."

So, in all honesty, most surgeons are not going to want to treat you not knowing exactly what was done inside you.  You need to talk to your surgeon in Mich. and ask him for colleague suggestions that he might know of in Fla.  A recommendation from him will get you a lot further.  Besides he has to be ready, willing and able to send your charts, and his surgical notes to  the follow up doctor here in FLA.

You get what you pay for..... choosing out of state MIGHT be cheaper... but will it really if you have to fly back for after care or if another surgeon or hospital won't treat you?

Kristen H.
on 3/11/08 11:36 am - Orlando, FL
Once again you hit the nail on the head. We used to take care of folks banded in other locations, but we stopped because we have just so many hours in a day to see our own patients, never mind try to sort out the complications we saw in folks banded elsewhere (stories that would make your hair curl!)

One patient banded overseas freaked out when she found out that we wouldn't take her on as a patient - she just assumed that we would. What looks like a bargain at first glance for this person really wasn't. She was banded in France and her band wasn't approved for use in the US. So she had to travel to France for her fills. How much do you think that little trip cost?

Caveat emptor!!

Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
Missy W.
on 3/12/08 1:43 am - Cloquet, MN
I understand what you are saying but I have a question.  It doesnt pertain to me since I will not be moving anytime soon, its more of a curiosity after reading your post.  You seem very knowledgable.  What if you were to have surgery in one state (where you were living at the time) and a few months or years down the line you had to move to another state, like work or something.  Would it still be really hard to find a DR? 
abandster
on 3/16/08 11:43 am
You have a very good point and its been addressed by more than one patient.  My surgeon will tell you that even if you're just out of town on vacation and need him, call him and he'll direct you to a surgeon where you are. They all seem to network and know each other.  Bt, then again, when you're released from the hospital after your surgery, you get our surgeon's cell phone number and he DEMANDS that you call it if you need him.  I was not feeling well for a few days and when I called and he asked how long I'd been hurting and I told him....he wasn't happy that I waited to call him and reminded me that he answers his cell 24/7. That being said, I know someone personally who was banded in Jacksonville and moved to Boston and our surgeon sent her records with her and suggested who she should see.   Our surgeon won't take patients who were banded in Mexico as he's had some problems with those patients but if you're new to town, he'll gladly take you in. La Wanda

sandyfeets
on 3/12/08 7:55 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

Thus why I borrowed 20K and happily make the payment each month.... I wanted a surgeon that was here... right in my OWN  city/neighborhood.  One that I respected, had a reputation that was beyond reproach and could deal with complications. 

THANK GOD I did, cause 9 days out I had a major complication, plus leak and needed immediate surgery to repair it.

I got what I paid for... proximity, professionalism and expertise.   

Melissa R.
on 3/25/08 2:56 pm - FL
VSG on 01/23/11 with
Sandyfeets, since I have chosen the same wonderful surgeon which financial company did you chose?  I am a self pay too.  PM if you want... I agree I chose Dr. Webb one because of his reputation (I am from that area) and two even though I currently live in Cape Coral, FL  I will be moving back up to J-ville area since all of my family is there.   I can't imagine being across country and something went wrong and noone would touch me...

Redhaired
on 3/10/08 9:14 am - Mouseville, FL
I had my DS out of state and I have no problem with getting the care that I need locally.  That being said should I need surgical treatment relating to my DS I would move heaven and earth to get back to my surgeon.  My surgeon has worked very well with my local docs and my VA docs.  But then too, I did not have to have fills and such.  That is probably where the issue is.   Red

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/08 10:01 pm - Tampa, FL
Rita, too often the risk of follow up care is not worth it for a surgeon if he did not do the original surgery. He is basically putting himself at risk to followup what another surgeon started, so most tend to steer clear of another surgeon's patients. My suggestion would be to call around and secure a followup surgeon before you have the surgery done, otherwise, any savings that you realize may be eaten up by the only doctors that will see you, the emergency room doctors.
one hot mama
on 3/16/08 6:52 pm - Tennessee/ Alabama

I am a Army wife who had her surgery in FT Campbell, KY but moved to Florida and I travel for each and every one of my appointments so if that is an option for you you may want to do that. If their is an emergency there is always the ER.

I would not want to have surgery then seek assistance from another DR. who does surgery with out  tests and exams in Michigan it took be a few weeks to do mine, it may be cheaper but how reputable are they? Some things to consider. If you travel to do the test it may be better if you travel for your follow ups.

Susan 

Army Wife
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views