OT - TOTALLY...Sad Day in Tampa Bay...

tmn9761
on 2/26/08 11:32 am - New Port Richey, FL
Well, I'm sitting here at my computer (as usual) trying to finish up my work for today, and I have to say, my heart just isn't in it.  Today, we in the Tampa Bay area lost our beloved Chanel 10 meteorologist, Dick Fletcher, who sadly succumbed to a massive stroke he suffered last Monday.  Fletch has been on the air since 1980, and those of us who have grown to depend on his forcasts feel a bit of a void tonight, knowing we will never again experience his very special brand of meteorology at its best.  Fletch was very visible in our community, always willing to lend a helping hand, and always ready to answer any question.  I had the honor to meet him on several occasions, and each time, I was awestruck by the wealth of knowledge and charm he possessed.  His warm presence will be sadly and sorely missed for years to come.  God bless you, Fletch.  We love you! Thanks for indulging me.   ~ T

~ Terri - Come on and CRUISE TO LOSE with us!

kimkimmie
on 2/26/08 11:42 am - Jacksonville, FL
I lived in St. Pete until I was 11.  I remember Dick Fletcher.  I have a funny story for you. My parents friends had a son who would be about 30 now and I guess that he went to school with Dick's daughter Chrissy and they were boyfriend and girlfriend but elementary age... she came to his birthday party I think.  I remember thinking it was cool.  I was 5 years older than him.  So if he had a daughter that young, he must have been pretty young still.  Sorry to hear he had a stroke and your personal loss.  I can tell it really saddens you.  My sister in law had a stroke a year ago and it is so awful.  She was in her early 40's and is currently in a nursing home. ~Kim
tmn9761
on 2/26/08 11:56 am - New Port Richey, FL
Hi Kim ~ Thanks for sharing your cute story!  He spoke on the air from time to time about his family, and apparently his grandson, Casey (not sure which of Fletch's kids is Casey's parent) was a "fixture" at the station every Friday night.  The station has been running special broadcasts throughout the day and even this evening during prime time, and I guess you have to have "experienced" Fletch to really appreciate the loss that even those who barely knew him feel tonight.   I am so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law.  How tragic.  I am in my mid 40's so that really hits home.  I cannot even imagine.  My heart goes out to her and your family - I'm sure it is extremely difficult  for you. Thanks again for sharing - it's really nice to hear "Fletch stories".  It's comforting.  I can't believe I feel as badly as I do, but it's that way with everyone here I know!  He was an "institution" here and his loss is really profound. 

Amy C.
on 2/27/08 12:17 am - Auburndale, FL
I live in Polk County and heard it on the evening news. I have grown up watching him, he will be very missed. Amy
tmn9761
on 2/27/08 4:19 am - New Port Richey, FL
You know, it's a really strange phenomena ... I've lived in three MAJOR metropolitan areas throughout my life - 30 years in "Chicagoland" alone, and I've never seen (or felt) such an affinity to a local tv personality as I have with Fletch.  There were a couple from Chicago, but I never met them in person - while they were likable and enjoyable to view, they weren't "hands on" like Fletch was.  I have an old email from 2004 when FL was being hit by all the hurricanes....I'd asked him a question, and he responded right away with a detailed yet understandable answer.  What a great guy - very kind man.  Watching the weather won't ever be the same!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views