overwhelmed

nflgal00
on 2/5/08 3:03 am - gainesville, FL

Today I had my consultation. I got most of my questions answered but still left with the big question of which surgery to do—lap band or gastric bypass. I don’t have a feeling either way….I just know that I need to do something. I understand the risks/benefits of both. I see that both have life long changes in diet and exercise. I have been reading and came across a good point....that after some time after surgery that personal eating habits creep back in. How do you control these feelings/urges…do they ever go away? I’m not really sure what I should do….I need to have a full understanding of what I’m getting myself into.

The next question I have is which surgery to have if my everyday diet is a well balanced but I know that I like carbs/sweets. Is one surgery better for eaters like me?

Also, I have noticed that I’m a snacker. I eat when I’m bored…that is my main problem.  

Is one surgery better for people like me?

privatepath1
on 2/5/08 7:28 am - NF City, FL
I too have a problem with carbs/sweets. I found by doing a lot of reading, that RNY was going to be the best way for me to go. I think I have read every article out there to educate me so that I could make my decision. Now,  I am waiting for my insurance to do whatever they are going to do. Good luck with your decision.
sandyfeets
on 2/5/08 11:24 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

Those are the things you need to discuss with your surgeon.  He/she can advise you as to which surgery would really be the best tool for you.  

Band---offers restriction for "binge" type  or over eating type eaters.  That is a pro------Con----slider foods like milkshakes, could go right thru and you still consume all the high caloric foods

RNY----restriction for binge or over eating eaters. A BIG Pro.   Dumping when you consume too many high sugar or high carb foods.  Dumping isn't fun.  

Snacking...actually you'll move from 3 meals a day to 6 small meals.  So that might help you with the snacking, but so will the exercise and a hobby.  GET a hobby that requires CLEAN hands and no food around.  I just took up scrapbooking and when that hobby gets boring---it will be back to needle work.

I find that sitting in front of the computer I "graze."  So lately---I've only spent about 1 hour here a night. 

Good Luck 

Kristen H.
on 2/5/08 11:44 am - Orlando, FL
Although you do need to talk to your surgeon again, the gastric bypass seems like a good choice for you since you are a sweet and binge eater.

I wanted the LAP-BAND at first, but I too was a sweet eater. My personality was also such that I knew - *knew* - that I personally would seek to defeat the band with ice cream and other high calorie and high fat treats. The fact that I dump and don't have a large pouch helps me to control the sugar and binge urges. support group also helps a lot.
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
Flor_Bellas
on 2/5/08 3:04 pm - Miami, FL
On February 5, 2008 at 7:44 PM Pacific Time, Kristen H. wrote:
Although you do need to talk to your surgeon again, the gastric bypass seems like a good choice for you since you are a sweet and binge eater.

I wanted the LAP-BAND at first, but I too was a sweet eater. My personality was also such that I knew - *knew* - that I personally would seek to defeat the band with ice cream and other high calorie and high fat treats. The fact that I dump and don't have a large pouch helps me to control the sugar and binge urges. support group also helps a lot.
I have to say I agree with Kristen.  I did the Lap Band 2 1/2 years ago and have such huge regrets.  Read my blogs in my profile so you can see the issues I've been having.  Although I was banded in Mexico, it was with a FDA approved Inamed adjustable band. Although I had extenuating cir****tances, it still does not excuse what I put in my mouth.  I feel that had I had the bypass I wouldn't be where I am today.  Back at square one and getting a revision to RNY.  I need to have the dumping syndrome and a small pouch to help me control the urges.  I now realize that I have food addiction issues, and I may return to Overeater's Anonymous to deal with the food addictions I have.  I've been there before but it's not enough for me, I need RNY to work hand in hand with my issues.  So, from my struggles with the Lap Band, I'd say go for the RNY.  You don't want to find yourself like me 2 years down the road and have regrets and face even more risks of a second revision surgery.  I would say do the bypass, but, in the end, your doctor would be the best person to consult.  Good luck and keep us posted. Maria
Ruth S.
on 2/6/08 10:35 am - Orlando, FL
Hi - I know people say to consult the doc..HOWEVER YOU know yourself more than even he does..do you consider yourself someone who craves sweets and will eat out of boredom?  Do you feel that if you have punishment from any future bad habits will bring you bck on track?  The other surgery will not in the long run.. I knew I wanted the punishment if I was gonna make it work so I chose the RNY..but you find out what you feel is what you need and make it a success.. HUGS
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views