BCBS of FL-Exclusion question

pamie40
on 1/28/08 10:20 am - Gulf Breeze, FL
I called my insurance company through my employer today and was told that my policy has an exclusion-they do not cover gastric bypass.  When I had called the bariatric center in town and told them this, they were surprised because they  have lots of people who have this insurance.  Has anyone with an exlusion ever been denied but appealed it and won?  I'm thinking that if there is an exclusion it is pretty final.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Redhaired
on 1/28/08 12:49 pm - Mouseville, FL
The question is did the people to which the surgeon's staff referred thave your employer.  In many cases the employer has chosen to exclude WLS to hold down costs.  Is the exclusion for all WLS or just gastric bypass? Red

da wright one
on 1/29/08 9:21 am - Lady Lake, FL
I have BCBS of FL and from what I understand it's not hard to get them to cover it if you have the proper documentation. There are little fine lines, that's why the doctor may have been a little puzzled.  The insurance company is not going to tell you that.  Continue to fight, I know a couple of people that have won!!  My coverage is through the state, and what I understand is with state and federal employees only have the policy where there is no exclusions, so they say.  Look on the BCBS of fl website and put your type of policy in the search read the exclusions, even though they say it's excluded does not really mean that they won't, Your doctor may have to really fight for it, you may have to go through an appeal.  but most people only go through one appeal with BCBS, it won't hurt to try, go for it. If your doctor backs you, you have a good chance. good luck, Cicily
Purple Lotus
on 1/29/08 1:41 pm - FL
It's not BCBS itself, it's your specific policy that is excluding it.  I have BCBS and mine doesn't exclude it.  Your employer decided which policy it provides. Good luck finding a way to get it covered.

Purple Lotus              my s!

Sandy W.
on 1/31/08 11:06 am - Spring Hill, FL
I had BCBS of Florida and it did have the exclusion but and it is a big but, I needed to have documents to prove that this did not happen overnight.   And it must be medically necessary.  LOL who would do it if it was not necessary.  So do not give up hope.   Good luck   Sandy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views