Lots of questions!

pamie40
on 1/27/08 2:32 am - Gulf Breeze, FL
I am considering the gastric bypass surgery that is done by laporoscopy.  I have BCBS of FL-Blue Options.  Has anyone had any problems getting approval for the surgery?  I am 5' 1" and weigh 198 lbs.  My doctor diagnosed me with Type II Diabetes about 10 months ago.  I have been trying to manage it through diet, but it is just not working.  I also have high blood pressure but do not take medication for it.  Also, how long does it take to recover from the laporoscopy?  I have a desk job and was hoping that if I had this done, I would only be gone for a maximum of 2 weeks.  Is the pain so severe that it will truly keep me out of work for a complete two weeks?   Thanks for any info anyone can give to me!
Muukie917
on 1/27/08 4:07 am - Manhattan Beach, CA
my best advise to you would be to call BCBS and ask, than I would reseach Lap RNY. There is so much information on this board all your questions should be answered, just take your time and read everything
    Life should not be measured by the numbers of breathe we take but by                      the moments that take our breathe away....      
                                   PROUD WIFE OF AN US AIRMAN

Beatriz A.
on 1/28/08 3:44 am - Sunny Miami, FL
Sorry I can't give you any answer in reference to your insurance since each company handles it differently but I can tell you that about two weeks is the time I took to recover from Lap-RNY over a year ago. The pain is not that bad, I took pain control medice at the hospital while I was there but never at home. Good Luck!!!!
Beatriz
Tami H.
on 1/28/08 10:47 am - Winter Park, FL
Give yourself at least two weeks, you can go back at that time, but take it slow. no lifting 15 lbs for 1 month.  My profile has lots of helpful info that may answer some questions. Insurances can approve quickly, and some are like snails!! You have co morbities so if the doc says it is "medically necessary" you may be able to pu**** through that way. Its not the pain really, its major surgery and getting used to eating and just major recovery.  Coughing is important and painful at first, and walking is slow.  You will find at two weeks out you will co me home from work and be exhausted!!! But others have done this...just pace yourself. let me know if I can help further! blessings, Tami
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views