I was denied.

mshell485
on 1/15/08 7:00 am
Hey everyone. they sent in my packet to tricare and it was a no go. My husband made a good point and im hoping he is right. they sent it in under the wrong listing i guess. I'm 100'bs over weight not 200lb. He said it was probable kicked out by a computer or something. I sent a letter to them for reconsideration. so we will see what happens.... anyone ever have this happen to them? how long was there wait? shell
Purple Lotus
on 1/15/08 5:26 pm - FL
Maybe he's right....maybe they looked at your current weight and said (for example), ok she's 250 lbs and she wants to lose 200 lbs??  No way!  And denied it.......or the computer somehow kicked it out for that same reason.  I hope you are able to get it straightened out and get approved!

Purple Lotus              my s!

xraynail
on 1/15/08 6:31 pm - Okeechobee, FL
I hope it alll gets straighten out. Insurance companies just like to make people sweat. Good luck Laurie 

Highest373/Surgery335/Goal 175 
PLUS 38 POUNDS LOST PRYOR TO SURGERY

Redhaired
on 1/15/08 10:56 pm - Mouseville, FL

Shell- Do you have any co-morbidities?  The Tricare policy is 100lbs over ideal weight with comorbidities or 200% over ideal weight with no co-morbidities.  They use the Met Life weight tables to determine ideal weight. I would be gathering all of the info I could to send in to document the co-morbidities that Tricare recognizes.  I have included a little blurb from the Tricare policy.  Let me know if you want the whole policy. Red

A. Gastric bypass, gastric stapling or gastroplasty, to include vertical banded gastroplasty is covered when one of the following conditions is met:

1. The patient is 100 pounds over the ideal weight for height and bone structure and has one of these associated medical conditions: diabetes mellitus, hypertension, cholecystitis, narcolepsy, Pickwickian syndrome (and other severe respiratory diseases), hypothalamic disorders and severe arthritis of the weight-bearing joints.

2. The patient is 200 percent or more of the ideal weight for height and bone structure. An associated medical condition is not required for this category.

Muukie917
on 1/16/08 5:38 am - Manhattan Beach, CA
I hope it all works out for you, my Tricare office seems very helpful. please post and let us know how its going for you
mshell485
on 1/16/08 7:28 am
Thank you all for your comments. I did write tricare and they opened my case back up. the fact that it is still open is a good sign to me  We will see what happens and if this doesnt work its back to the doctors for more test.. I wont be giving up! I thank you again for your support!! I'll keep you updated! ~shell
Vickie J
on 1/16/08 6:40 pm - Tallahassee, FL
If you haven't done it already, get as many of your doctors to write letters stating why you need wls & send them with your appeal.  I sent letters from both of my orthopedic doctors (knees & back), pulmonologist, chiropractor as well as my PCP.  If I were younger & wanting to get pregnant, I would have also gotten a letter from my OB/GYN but that was no longer an issue for me. Good luck! Vickie J.

Vickie J. 
"Most dreams are lost by giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views