OT - Jacksonville Anyone???

Laura B.
on 1/10/08 10:58 am - RI
So, I currently live in RI and have never been to FL. My job has just relocated our department to Jacksonville and we have to option to move. I am wondering if any of you live in or around that area. If so, what information can you give me about it? Is it a nice area? Is there a high crime/drug rate? I work for Bank of America and the building is right in Jacksonville. Do any of you know where that is? Is it a far drive from any other cities so I wouldnt have to live right in Jacksonville?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

LB
sandyfeets
on 1/10/08 11:19 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

I am a "native" of Jacksonville..... well not born here, but I've lived here since 1970.  

Bank of America has a large campus on the southside of Jacksonville and then their tower downtown.  Jacksonville is a VERY VERY large city landwise. The city IS the county.  You could live at the beaches, or in the next two counties of St. Johns, or Clay.  Though Nassau and Baker are growing too.

You might want to check out some of the websites below for more information

www.coj.net---that is the official City of Jacksonville's Website.... CHOCK full of info.

www.jacksonville.com.... the city's main newspaper

http://www.visitjacksonville.com/    the Convention and Visitor's Bureau.

If you have children---the schools systems website is www.dreamsbeginhere.org but is about to change domain names soon.

www.news4jax.com---one of the local TV stations website 

Laura B.
on 1/10/08 11:59 am - RI
Thanks for the information! I was looking online at apartment prices and they seem to be pretty high near the water.

What would be your reccomendation as far as places to live? I am 24, no kids, would be living with my boyfriend and dont want too long of a commute. I would be working in one of the buildings on the campus, not the tower.

If you have any more information or suggestions, I thank you in advance!

LB
sandyfeets
on 1/11/08 6:47 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

Since you'll be on the campus, I'd recommend that you live in the Tinseltown, Baymeadows, Southpoint, Town Center areas.  Main streets names would be Baymeadows Road, Gate Parkway, Southside Blvd, JT Butler Blvd., Touchton Road, Hodges Blvd, Kernan Blvd.   The zip codes to check out would be 32216, 32224, 32256, and 32246.  There are literally DOZENS of large new or newer apt. complexes in those areas.  

Good Luck in your search. 

one hot mama
on 1/11/08 8:13 am - Tennessee/ Alabama
I am moving to the 32244 area and it is fabulous growing every day and new stores being opened all the time. this is off chaffee rd
 Army Wife
sandyfeets
on 1/11/08 9:30 am, edited 1/12/08 6:33 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

32244 ZIP Code is on the other side of the city/county from the Bank of America Campus and would entail a 30-45 min drive on I-295 across the Buckman Bridge/StJohns River and though, it is "growing" but it has been for 20 yrs too!! it is just on the wrong side of town for this to be feasible.

I've lived here 37 yrs.... and I grew up near the 32244 area (Westside) I wouldn't make THAT drive no matter what someone paid me.

themema2
on 1/12/08 2:04 am - Jacksonville, FL
Do not make the move.  You would hate it.  I am from the north east too and I am sorry every day of my life that I left.  I am working every day right now to get back up north. Besides.  The crime rate in Jacksonville is at an all  time high right now. Good luck but please do LOTS looking before you make the move. GO PATRIOTS!!!!
sandyfeets
on 1/12/08 6:31 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

I work with a half dozen people that are all from the northeast, midwest (PA, NY, WV, IN, IL, and OH) .... each of them came here for a job.  They are all young (under 30.)  They are ALL happy, making friends, creating new ones.  Yes, they go home every now and then.... they have family.  But they dread the snow, the ice, the cold. 

Crime, there is crime EVERYWHERE.....face it.  It's our society.  If you really looked at the crime (murder) rate... its mostly  drug/gang related.  Anyone can get robbed or mugged in any city in the US.

BUT if you are that unhappy... then move back.  You obviously didn't come for the right reasons.  Someone else will move right in and be happy.   

Grow where you are planted... and you will bloom. 

anagram
on 1/13/08 11:43 am - Orange Park, FL
I live in Orange Park (which is over the river) and I love it here.  Moved here in 2000 and decided this was the place to stay.  Yep, we have crime.  We also have beaches, theatre, nightlife, close to daytona and orlando or savannah in the other direction. Having said that, my boyfriend is from Conn and he misses it, but says he'll never go back cause the weather is so much better.  (He rides a motorcycle).  At your age you're going to love the 5 Points, Riverside, San Marco, Avondale areas.  It's too bad you're not at the downtown office because then you could live in one of those sections, but they're right.  Live close to your job--you go there 5 days a week.  You can drive to the other places on the weekend. Welcome to the sunny land... hugs
Purple Lotus
on 1/13/08 3:53 pm - FL
I am from Gainesville, which is Southwest of Jax.  I love Jax, and even more, St Augustine which is right next door.  I think it would be a great move to try out.  Worst case scenario, you move back, right?  It's not a lifetime committment.  But personally, I would think you'd love it!  It's a beautiful area with many things to do.

Purple Lotus              my s!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views