Friends? (in the tampa/lutz area?)

Rita T.
on 12/25/07 11:07 pm - Clearwater, FL
So this is probably going to sound kind of sad, but I don't really have a lot of friends (I have 3, and theya re the greatest) and the ones I do have are all skinny and have never been fat.  I'm hoping to find somone (or a whole lot of people) on here to maybe be friends with as I try desperatly to find the financial/emotional help that I will need on my journey to getting and while having this surgery.  I am kind of hoping to find someone my age (I'm 23) who has either just had the surgery or is thinking about getting it or is just waiting like me to find the funds to pay for the surgery. Or really ANYONE, I guess, who might be able to relate to me and what i am going through.  I keep talking about this to my boyfriend (who is on the heavy side) but he thinks i am jsut bashing myself (which I'm sure we all do sometimes) and I think he is getting a little tired of me only talking about this surgery.  So like I said people who I could maybe relate to, hang out with or jsut chat online or something.
csantos07
on 12/26/07 5:50 am

Hi there sweetie, Keep your head up!! Believe me I have gone through hell and back getting the finances for my operation. I've been operated now for 1.5 months and feel sometimes like I'm still in hell, but I got lots of support on this website, it really helps.  I live in Orlando, Fl and even though we are a little far away, we can keep in touch and motivate each other.  I hope it all works out for you!!

suesue53
on 12/26/07 8:05 am - Central Florida, FL
Hello, I live in Valrico and work in Tampa and would be glad to talk with you about your thoughts on surgery. I am 53 so I don't know if that matters to you but much of the decision to have wls and going through the process has similarities at any age. I had Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy on 10-15-07. I am doing really well and have lost 38 lbs. so far. I was going to have the lap band also but when I read about the VSG it just seemed to fit better with my lifestyle. Susan

Rita T.
on 12/26/07 9:54 pm - Clearwater, FL
Absolutely I would love to meet up! You wouldn't happen to work downtown would you? Reason I ask is becuase thats where I work. The commute is crazy but oh well. How is the sleeve different fromt eh band I haven't read up on it much. Can they do the procedure laproscopically?
suesue53
on 12/27/07 6:48 pm - Central Florida, FL
I work in East Tampa right next to Brandon. Yes, the sleeve is done laproscopically. It is only done open if there is a complication. The best place to get the view of the sleeve is at a website that one of the sleeve forum members created. It is great http://vsgfaq.com/forums/. The sleeve is what they call a restriction surgery, which basically removes 80 % of the stomach which leaves a small "sleeve" for a stomach which is where it gets part of its name and the gastrectomy means removing part of the stomach. I heard about it first on this website and haven't regretted my choice for a minute. Susan

Higels
on 12/27/07 10:06 pm - Pinellas Park, FL

Hi, I am on the Pinellas side of Tampa Bay, I just turned 30 and had the bypass a little over a year ago and have lost 180 ish pounds. I originally was planning on getting the lap band, but since I wanted to lose so much weight (197) the bypass seemed like a better choice for me. I also know myself pretty well and thought I might try to eat "around" the band. I am always looking for friends as I have 2 little ones and don't always get the "adult" time I want. Good luck pursuing your financing

Amy
Rita T.
on 12/27/07 10:10 pm - Clearwater, FL
Thanks for the well wishes I'mn adding you to my friends list if thats okay with you. I got partial financing, only $5,500 of the original $7000 I wanted but i will jsut have to pay the rest on a credit card and deal with it.
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/07 12:45 pm - Tampa, FL
Ok, I'm not near your age, but I have been where you are at.  I have been morbidly obese and I have been involved in the WLS process in one way or another for 7 years.  If you want or need to talk to someone, PM me and I'll give you my number.  Or you have my name and city, and I'm in the book. Steve
Marianne C.
on 12/28/07 8:32 pm - Hudson, FL
I'm double your age but would LOVE to be friends! You sound like such a positive person! I can  tell just from what you wrote here! I wish you had signed your post so I could call you by your name. I can tell you've made up your mind you ARE going to have this surgery and you WILL find and figure ot the financing. I didn't hear any "if's" in your message. And no way did your message sound sad! You go girl! You have a plan  and that's wonderful! With your attitude you WILL make friends fast! Start going to the support group meetings in your area.  I am a leader for a support group in Hudson... that may be too far but if not we'd love to have you. But there are groups all over... go! It is wonderful that your boyfriend loves you as you are. He will love you thin and healthy too... trust me. My hubby loved me the way I was too and didn't want me to have the surgery. But boy has he changed his tune now!   So keep that positive attitude! KNOW you WILL have the surgery come hell or high water ..... you WILL find a way and you will not believe how wonderful it is.  -Marianne C.  Pasco Hernando Obesity Help Support Group Leader

Most dreams are lost by giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment.

Rita T.
on 12/29/07 1:42 am - Clearwater, FL
HI Marianne, Thank you so much for the positive words! My name is Rita by the way. I would love to be friends!  I live in Lutz so that is a little far for me but I'll definetley try and make it once in a while. I know there is a group in Largo but thats kind of far for me too. I was really hoping to find a group in Tampa and I am kind of suprised I haven't found one yet. I didn't get financing even with my mother as a cosigner BUT I did get financed through another company. It wasn't for the entire amount that I needed but I pay it back like a credit card so I don't have a specific amount to pay back in like 5-6 years. Which makes the payment that much easier. So I have a surgery date of February 15th with Dr. Joya in Mexico... I'm super nervous and I am going to the bank to make the down payment today. Well that is the update for me. I am going to add you to my friends list. Have a great day!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views