Anemia

laflagal
on 12/7/07 1:55 am - St. Petersburg, FL
I have been severely anemic for close to a year, get blood work done about every six months.  My doctor now has me scheduled to see an oncologist for an iron infusion.  Had RNY December 21, 2001 and have maintained my weight loss for years.  I've been anemic for a while and seems like all the supplements I  have taken do no good.  Anyone had an iron infusion, how long did it take, how often did you have to have it done and did you get your energy back afterwards.  I am so worried about this, but right now I'm begging for energy.  Linda Allen
Tami H.
on 12/10/07 9:54 pm - Winter Park, FL
Let us know how this goes.  I have not had an iron infusion. Perhaps on the main board you can ask, and let us know what you find out too. Kudos to you for your weight loss maintenance! You are remembering not to take iron with calcium, right?  Also I'm sure you are taking quality iron right? Anyway....sorry I can't be of much help but I' like you to know I'm encouraging y ou and hope you feel better too. Are you taking vit b 12  injections too? Merry Christmas blessings, Tami
laflagal
on 12/11/07 2:05 am - St. Petersburg, FL
I'm scheduled to start iron infusions once a week for ten weeks.  Blood work will be done and if the levels balance out for a while I may be able to take it orally though a pill form again.  I'm just not absorbing iron though pills.  I am also getting a b12 shot once a month for the rest of my life.  These are some of the side effects that may occur to gastric bypass patients.  The lap band looks better now as you still have your gastric juices to help break down and absorb iron and other nutrients which the rny does not allow.  Everything else is excellent.  Thanks for the response. 
Trish6660
on 12/20/07 12:08 am - Long Island, NY
I have similar situation, low on iron and B-12 but I'm a newbie, only 1 year post-op so I'm hoping to stabilize the situation.  I'm going for bloodwork next week to check to see if the B-12 shots worked for the last 3 months.  I've also been taking SLOW-FE (otc) and I'm hoping that this has elevated my iron levels.  I've always been iron deficient even before the RNY so I'm very interested in your infusions and hope that I don't have to resort to that.  So far my energy is okay.  I think I'm just sleep deprived (holidays) and the early darkness doesn't help my mood.  This too shall pass....come on spring!!  lol
 Trish
laflagal
on 12/20/07 12:13 am - St. Petersburg, FL
Just do as your doctor tells you.  If you were anemic before surgery it could eventually get worse.  Another habit I got into since this wonderful surgery was turning to alcohol.  Never drank much before, but now, oh my goodness things have changed.  I'm working hard on stopping this behavior as it is not healthy either.  I  have two young grandchildren who zap my energy when around so for their sake I hope this infusion starts to work.  I may be able to take iron tablets after the initial iron infusions, but will have to wait and see how my body reacts to having it infused into me.  I'm not happy about doing this, but I want to stay healthy and live a long life.  The RNY was the best thing I ever did.  Just this past December 21st I also had a tummy tuck and it looks great.  I'd love to do the bat wings and thighs, but I'm happy with a flatter tummy.  Good luck to you and thanks for the response.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views