Who Loves Where They Live?

John Hoffmann
on 11/25/07 12:24 pm - Baltimore, MD

Hey Heatherh, you cant beat the southeastern coastal part of the state, anywhere between Palm Beach and Miami, lots of good hospitals.  I live in Boynton Beach, between Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale.  And this part of the state tends to stay the warmest in the middle of the summer.  Of course, we are probably more prone to hurricanes too, but your gonna find that wherever you live on the coast in Florida, as the last several years have proven.  As far as droughts, I think the whole Southeastern US is having that problem, I hear its worse in Georgia now than it is here.  The problem here is that the only source we have, Lake Okeechobee up north, is dangerously low, and because the rainy season was drier than normal and not lots of tropical activity this year, its only expected to get worse this winter.  Oh well, the price to pay for living in paradise. Anyway, good luck and let us know where you end up. John

John 

John Hoffmann
on 11/25/07 10:04 pm - Baltimore, MD
Sorry, I meant warmest in the winter, its hot everywhere here in the summer.

John 

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/07 8:55 am
Hi John, It's funny you should say that about the hurricanes, because that is exactly what I was thinking about the southeast coast! I'm totally paranoid of living somewhere that runs out of water. I never thought this would be a consideration in choosing a place to live but it is apparent the earth is going through a period of change. I can't believe you're in your 40's. You look great! I'm happy to see your success with wls because that means it's acheivable! Thanks! heatherh
John Hoffmann
on 11/26/07 9:22 am - Baltimore, MD
Ahh, you flirt.  Just kidding.  I get that all the time, I'll be 43 in January, but I feel better than I did when I was 18 (at least physically).  Thanks for the compliment and good luck whatever you decide. John

John 

LizB
on 11/25/07 9:00 pm - FL
Hi Heather, I just move here in Sept. my self and love it. We were looking on the East and West coasts. Employment was the determining factor. Tell us where you are moving from. I believe if you are from a rural or urban area will be a huge factor in determining where you want to live in Florida. Liz
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/07 9:00 am

Well Liz, I've lived in a few places and I'd like to think I'm highly adaptable but I think my preference is to live in a somewhat smallish town but near a metro area. I grew up in Philly, lived in Charleston, WV a few years, Grand Canyon for almost a decade, and Flagstaff for 2 now. I'm so through with winter! I'm hoping this will be my last, for a while anyway. Let me know what you think. thanks, heatherh

chicaletta
on 12/2/07 8:14 am
VSG on 04/24/14
On November 26, 2007 at 5:00 PM Pacific Time, heatherh517 wrote:

Well Liz, I've lived in a few places and I'd like to think I'm highly adaptable but I think my preference is to live in a somewhat smallish town but near a metro area. I grew up in Philly, lived in Charleston, WV a few years, Grand Canyon for almost a decade, and Flagstaff for 2 now. I'm so through with winter! I'm hoping this will be my last, for a while anyway. Let me know what you think. thanks, heatherh

Heather,  Citrus County is full of small towns but is very centralized from two large areas. It's located about 1-1.5 hours NW of Orlando, and about 1.5 hours N. of Tampa, and about 2 hours NE of Clearwater.  There is 2 hospitals and many opportunities for the medical profession. The housing cost is very reasonable and it is growing fast.  Another area to look into. Good luck on your move!
diane93
on 11/26/07 6:22 am - FL
Can't beat Jacksonville.  We've got great weather, a young population, the beaches downtown and good hospitals in need of nurses.  There's the Mayo Clinic, Shands, St. Vincents, St. Lukes, Baptist, Wolfson Childrens Hosp. , Nemours Childrens Clinic.  St. Augustine is 30 minutes away.  Fernandina Beach is nearby.  We've got the Theatre, The Symphony, The Jaguars, a minor league baseball stadium and a new Arena.  We have a Jazz Festival each year and many other events to choose from.  We love it here!
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/07 9:05 am
You really make Jacksonville sound good! the Mayo Clinic is a hospital I'm very interested in. There's one in Phoenix and I looked into it but I really don't want to live in Phoenix. I love that you included a young population as a selling point. I've only recently been considering the implications of living in a retirement area and I have mixed feelings about it. thanks for your response! heatherh
(deactivated member)
on 11/27/07 9:26 am
First, I'll make it clear--I love living here.  I've been an RN for 15 years, and have lived all over the country, including Alaska.  Be advised--if you are looking for a salary commensurate with what the rest of the country makes, don't move here.  You will find higher salaries in Miami, Orlando, and Tampa as compared to Jacksonville, Daytona, and the smaller cities.  Daytona is positively abysmal and has been for years (I went to nursing school there).  When I first moved back here in 2002, I took a $5.00/hr cut in pay from what I was making in New Mexico.  I was a union nurse my entire career until I moved back, and a lack of unions here really keeps the wages low. Now, that being said, there are so many positives to living here.  Beautiful weather, beaches, easy-going people, lots of stuff to do, and an endless supply of nursing jobs.  I have no plans of ever leaving, and I've got a great job that I love (I'm a director of nursing in short term rehab). I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.  Florida has been good to me, and some things are more important than $$ . PM if you'd like.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views