Who Loves Where They Live?

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/07 8:37 am
Hello Floridians! I graduate from nursing school in May and Florida is on my short list of relocation destinations. I'm primarily interested in living in a coastal region (big surprise, right?) and have read good things about St. Petersberg/Clearwater, Panama City, Fort Pierce-St. Lucie, and ***** Gorda. This list is by no means all inclusive and I would appreciate suggestions of other areas that you feel are good places to live. Tell me what is good and bad about where you live. We may end up as neighbors. Being in area with major hospitals is important as I begin my career. Also, please inform me if you know of drought conditions in a particular area, please. Thanks so much for your advice! heatherh
Ruth S.
on 11/25/07 9:32 am - Orlando, FL
Congrats!! Well I've only lived here in Central Florida/Orlando and I LOVE it!!! Though any part of Florida has its' good point or bad..I love it here..because it's the middle of the middle..and most times misses major weather "tradegies" or we have had many misses..I'm sure others will beg to differ...I'm only talking about my experience. In case, any place in FL is great..we love the heat and the sun...at least I do. We have pretty good hospitals as well. Best of luck in your search!
Ruth S.
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/07 8:38 am
Thanks Ruth, I'll keep that in mind when exploring the possibilities. heatherh
shaejr
on 11/25/07 10:16 am - Riverview, FL
Hello Heatherh, I live in the Tampa area and I love it,nver been out of the State of Florida myself. TRUE FLORIDIAN But, I would not trade for anything, unless I move to the Carribean of course.  But you will love it.  I'm in the nursing field myself, not quite an RN yet but that is my goal.  Hospitalsare great here and they have great sign on bonus also.  So keep in touch any questions my name is Lashawn.
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/07 8:42 am
Lashawn,  I'm totally with you on the Carribean thing, but I'm going to stay stateside for now. There's just to much going on with our country for me to make an international move but maybe someday. Tampa does sound nice. I'm glad to hear from someone with experience in the medical field and I may be contacting you soon for further advice. thanks, heatherh
Qbandiva
on 11/25/07 11:37 am - Naples, FL
NAPLES, FL  - Collier county is growing in an amazing way. What use to be a sleep resort town is now expanding. We have 4 hospitals withing a 13 mile radius and they are all short staffed.  They are: Physician's General Medical Center - 2 sites Naples Community hospital  North Collier Hospital I know that the county is currently offering dr/nurses some incentives to live and work here.  I live inland and am 10-12 mins from the beach. It's beautiful here and we are: 1.5 hours from Ft Lauderdale .45 mins from Ft Myers 3 hours from Orlando 2 hours from Miami so as you can see we're near everything! The only down side right now is that all our roads are being expanded on @ the same time so it's a little crazy.... but a good crazy. No drought here. It's a great place to raise kids.  PS: I'm a banker so I can help you with your mort needs if you choose to move to any part of Florida! Regards. Barbi
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."   "Be yourself....everyone else is taken"

Before: 348 (01/01/2005) 
After:   165
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/07 8:49 am
Barbi, That's great info. I don't think I could ever afford to live in Naples. It sounds super expensive. Thanks for addressing the housing issue. Unfortunately, I am dirt poor right now (can't wait to graduate!) so, I'll undoubtedly be renting for a while but I'll definetly keep you in mind when the time is right.  Fort Meyers may be a more realistic place for me to live and commute from for work.  There is so much to consider. Every response helps me in formulating a plan. thanks, heatherh
Qbandiva
on 11/26/07 9:12 am - Naples, FL

hey there - I grew up in philly too. Where did you live? Not sure how old you are etc since your profile is.....thin.....(pardon the pun) I graduated from Little Flower high school in 83..... Let me know either way and I'd be happy to help a feloow Philadelphian! B

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."   "Be yourself....everyone else is taken"

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/07 10:08 am
Ooh and the ugly details surface... Try not to hold it against me, but I am from....Kensington. That is where I developed such a thick skin (yeah, that's it, that's what's thick) and you're right my- my profile is the thinnest thing about me. I went to 5 different high school's, I was kind of a problem child, and finally graduated from Carroll in '92, I think. I'm not nearly as bad as I sound, I swear! Nice to hear from a hometown gal! heatherh
Qbandiva
on 11/26/07 8:40 pm - Naples, FL
ROFLMAO!!!! I was born in Nicetown (when it was nice) and grew up in Mayfair (when it was fair) Been in Naples since 2000 when my work Corestates Bank (now Wachovia) transfered me down here! Listen - you're not the only "thick skinned philly kid" out there - image being referred to as a Little Weed the entire time you're @ Bridge & Pratt waiting for R bus or the 20 or the El..... Good luck on whatever you Relocation choice is. PS: Naples has a working class area too so don't be surprised by the $$$. Althought Ft Myers and Bonita Springs/Lehigh Acreas are all affordable and resaonably close by....

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views