Where to begin?

Annie Q.
on 11/25/07 7:53 am - Ocoee, FL
Hello.... I'm new to the forum and to the idea of bariatric surgery.  I've been overweight my entire life, and have tried time and time again to lose without success.  I've always been fairly comfortable with myself despite my weight, but in the more recent years, as the weight has increased, so has my unhappiness and depression. Last week, I went to a plastic surgeon to have a consultation on a cosmetic surgery.  While the surgery I was looking to get was not necessary, it was extremely important based on my self esteem and personal past.  However, after paying my fees, watching the videos, getting excited, and sitting and waiting, I was severly disappointed to find out that he would not touch my for surgery until I was at a BMI of 35, which is close to 100 lb loss.   The doctor was supportive, and suggested the bariatric surgery.  I left the office crying, and depressed.  Not because of the doctor's denial at this point, but because it was just another thing that my weight has kept me from doing.   I've entertained the idea of WLS before, but felt that it was the "weak" or "cheating" way out.  I thought I was stronger than that, smarter than that, bigger than that.  I felt that I was only giving in.  However, at moments of clarity, I realize that my life has past thus far without the strength or smarts, or all those other things that I mentioned above.  That my weight is more than a weakness, and my smarts have nothing to do with it.  I realized that i have a problem, and it's one that I clearly can't solve on my own. I'm young, and I'm ultimately healthy.  I do have high blood pressure, am severly depressed, and am starting to feel the effects of the weight on my body.  My husband and I are planning for kids in the next few years, and the idea of having this weight problem cause risk to my children saddens and terrifies me.  However, so does the idea of having a surgery to help me with my weight problems. I'm looking for thoughts, suggestions, information, support, suggestions, etc. in regards to the surgery.  I'm wondering if anyone has had success getting your insurance company to support it, and what kind of costs I should expect from the sugery.     I am planning to make an appointment for a consultation with a surgeon; however, I feel that I don't know where to begin.  I'm tired of crying because I'm overweight.  I'm tired of feeling ugly, repulsive, and not being able to look in the mirror and smile at the girl looking back at me.  I'm tired of not being able to go for long walks without tiring out, or worrying that my rolls may be showing.  I'm tired of not knowing what I look like thin.  I'm tired of the high BP, the depression, the sleep problems, and the problems it is all causing in my life.  I'm tired of food and weight controlling my life. Please, help! Annie
Ruth S.
on 11/25/07 9:27 am - Orlando, FL
Welcome to the Florida boards... Annie...you are where MANY of us have stood...we all have faced those fears and crossed the morbidly obese bridge....the first thing you need to do after now realizing that surgery is a viable option for you is to meet with a surgeon (might I suggest Dr. Overcash (352)368-2828).  He will go over the different types of surgeries - if you haven't checked them out...as you also need to find out what type of weight loss you are looking to achieve. In my personal case..I felt the RNY is the best for me cause it offers the punishment that I need to stay on course..(not that I'm bad all the time - LOL)...but for you - you might find the Lapband, DS or maybe the RNY as something you may want to consider. Once that is "chosen" you may go through some medical requirements given by the doctor or the insurance to qualify. So now that you "know" what to do - as the ad says:  JUST DO IT! Do wipe the tears from your eyes and take control.. Hugs!!
Ruth S.
Annie Q.
on 11/25/07 11:00 am - Ocoee, FL
Thank you for your encouragement.  I appreciate your outlook and enlightenment.  I believe that initially, I'm thinking lap-band is the way I will want to go.  However, I make that choice based on very basic knowledge of the procedures and truly no education on what is best for me.   My husband and I decided after the meeting with the plastic surgeon that we would set up a consult with a bariatric doctor, to at least entertain the idea.  In the week since then, it's consumed much of my thoughts. I cried tonight when I looked at all the before and after pictures on the site...all the people that look so different, so much healthier, happier, independent, etc. I think I will make the appointment tomorrow!
Michael Eak
on 11/25/07 5:01 pm - Largo, FL
There are a few Bariatric Surgeon's in your area. Look under Bariatric Surgeons above.  Go to ALL of their FREE "Information Seminars" before choosing the one who your most comfortable with. And ask suggestions & reviews oh OH also. Good Luck. 
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
Annie Q.
on 11/26/07 11:19 pm - Ocoee, FL
Thanks for the suggestions!
Redhaired
on 11/26/07 3:11 am - Mouseville, FL
Annie- Good for you for doing your research.  There are several WLS that are currently being done and my advice would be to research all of them.  Now- not all WL surgeons perform all of the procedures and you will not necessarily hear good things about a procedure a surgeon does not perform.  But that does not make it a bad surgery.  Currently there is the duodenal switch, vertical sleeve gastrectomy, lap band and RNY gastric bypass.  I went to Omaha to have the duodenal switch and I could not be happier with my decision.   We will be here to support you so ask us anything.   Red

bunnytails
on 11/26/07 7:05 am - Orlando, FL
Annie, I have also been there and it took me 4years but I finaly went through with it.  Having the surgery is not the easy way out, It's the most difficult thing I have ever done.  I used to diet loose weight, gain it back cheat, diet again, over and over that is the easy way.  Having the surgery is hard but It works.  I was also 100lbs overweight, high blood pressure severe Sleep apnea.  My insurance did cover I had BCBS.  You are around the corner from me.  I live next to Winter Garden, Dr. Phillips.  I origanily was planning on the Lap-band But changed my mind after I researched all information.  I would of had the Sleeve procedures but my insurance would not cover , not enough data.   I went to US Barariatric Celabration Health  Office Dr. Keith Kim.  We was wounderful.  They have a support meeting everymonth,  You can check out the web Page usbariatric.com.   Phone numbers is 407--303-4504 They will assist you through the entire process.  I had my Surgery Oct 1, 2007 Im only 8weeks out and down 40lbs.  Since my surgery Im now off of my blood pressure medicine and starting to feel so much better.  However the first 4 weeks very hard.  It's a whole different life style for me, but well worth it.  What ever you decision is I wish you the best. Neice    

Kristen H.
on 11/26/07 10:07 am - Orlando, FL
Hijack!!

Hi Neice! How are you? Congratulations on your 40 lbs loss! Make sure that you say hello when you are in the office for your 3 month visit. You know how I am kept chained in the back.

Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
ldickinson
on 11/29/07 5:00 am - Jacksonville, FL
Hi there, I am from Jacksonville Florida and I am one year post op as of 10/28/07 (yesterday).  I have lost 77lbs.  I had full bypass.  I am with you all about the lap band.  It is to easy to cheat on it.  With the full by pass you do pay if you eat to much.  I have become a pro at throwing up, but I learned my lesson on what I can and can not eat.  I still have the fear of gaining a lb.  I would like to meet some people from Jacksonville as well.  My surgeon was Dr. Webb.  I truly love him.
Annie Q.
on 11/26/07 11:24 pm - Ocoee, FL
Niece, What procedure did you have, if you don't mind me asking?  What made you decide against lap-band? Thank you for the suggestions, etc.  I'm glad to hear there's a good chance BCBS will cover the surgery...I need to get the ball rolling. My wonderful, supporting husband has been spectacular!  I asked him if he would come with me to the information session tomorrow, and he sweetly told me he would do anything to support me on this.  I love this man!  He's so wonderful....  I'm lucky to have him for support!  I know how important it is to surround yourself with individuals who support and understand... Thank you for your support!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views