HELP-SHARP PAINS

Susan G.
on 11/9/07 4:44 am - Boynton Beach, FL
Hi All: Lately I've been having very sharp pains in my upper left ribbs and my left shoulder.  Had this is the hospital but it went away.  Dr. said it was gas.  Well, no more gas and the pain is back only worse. Dr. sent me for another EKG and checht x-ray and all was fine. It every wakes me in the middle of the night and I have to take a pain pill. I'm suposed to be on puree but I can only eat 1 1/2 oz cottage cheese or I feel sick. Mostly on shakes and water. Has anyone ever had this?  What to do? Susan
Belana
on 11/9/07 11:08 am - Apopka, FL
I know it's weird but the gas could still be hanging around. Reason I say this as I've had it with 2 surgeries-tho' administered initially into the lower abdomen-there is no where for it to go but "UP" it has no way to exit your body via either belching or well, you know...so it rises up then just filters thru your shoulder areas...yes it's very, very painful...the one thing that did help was taking charcoal tablets - yup- about 1.00 a bottle from the drug store!!!! It may also be labelled "simethecone" but check with the pharmacist, they'll know...hope it eases soon...I was doubled over in pain till I figured this out.

Susan G.
on 11/10/07 3:52 am - Boynton Beach, FL
Kristen H.
on 11/9/07 11:11 am - Orlando, FL
Hi Susan,

Is there any time when the pain is worse? After eating (and if so, after eating what?) Before you move your bowels? After exercising?

Pains that occur under the shoulder blade may signal a warning that the pain is not in the shoulder itself, but can be related to a pain from one of the organs in the body. The shoulder where the pain occurs can give the clue which of the organs are affected and causing the radiating pain into the shoulder. Pain under the left shoulder blade can be a signal that there is a problem with the stomach or in the chest. Pain under the right shoulder blade can be a signal of a gall-bladder inflammation or gallstones. Or it can relate to a problem with the liver or duodenum.

Does your doc think that it is gas from the laparoscopic surgery or intestinal gas?

I hope that you feel better. If it gets worse, don't hesitate going to the ED/ER.
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
Susan G.
on 11/10/07 3:50 am - Boynton Beach, FL
Hi: It seems to be worse at night and when I sleep.  I don't have a gallbladder.  It isn't under my shoulder blade but more on my left arm.  I'mnot really eating.  Just drinking the shakes and somtimes have cottage cheese.  I'm getting 60 0z of protein.  Don't see how I can get even that if I eat. Susan
Nadine P.
on 11/10/07 5:00 am - Largo, FL
Maybe, it is the lactose in the cottage cheese that you are reacting to. Try eating a little of something soft enough to "mash" with a fork like chicken salad or tuna salad, or some imitation crab.
Susan G.
on 11/10/07 5:38 am - Boynton Beach, FL
Stacie S.
on 11/10/07 10:10 am - Spring Hill, FL
After I was out of the hospital, I started getting sharp pains in left shoulder.  I was eventually found to have a leak.  My left shoulder has had other sharp pains that indicated other problems from the leak, including an abcess.  Has your doctor done a leak test?  I'm not trying to scare you, but that pain in my left shoulder was my first and only "symptom" until I was very, very sick with septic shock.  Good luck! 
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Susan G.
on 11/12/07 7:06 am - Boynton Beach, FL
Haven't had any tests but I willl ask him about a leak test.  I just saw him today and he said I didn't look like anything was wrong.  Doesn't know whats causing the pain, although I must admit the pain has been better the past couple days.  What do they do to perform a leak test? Susan
Stacie S.
on 11/12/07 8:41 am - Spring Hill, FL
The leak test usually involves drinking some contrast stuff (horrible tasting), and then they either x-ray you or do a CAT scan to see if the stuff is going down the way it's supposed to or whether it's leaking out somewhere.  It's not fun, but it does give you peace of mind. 
Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views