Newbie worried about insurance

saturn02
on 10/26/07 8:22 am - Hialeah, FL
Hello all!  I'm just in the beginning stages of planning my WLS.  I must admit I'm very worried though.  I have not submitted the request to my insurance (Aetna HMO) yet but I've gotten mixed messages about the chances of them approving.  I'm at a point where I  can't really afford for them to not approve it.  Do any of you have experience with them?  I looked under the insurance section but most of the posts I saw there were much older.  Any information is greatly appreciated.
Ruth S.
on 10/26/07 5:48 pm - Orlando, FL

I had United heathcare when i had sugery and was changed to Aetna HMO currently (before being laid off).  If you have insurance through your employer you have to check with your human resources because it depends if your company has a rider policy that would cover WLS. United  had the rider on it when I had decided to have my surgery and another co-worker and since both of us used it - they quickly took it off afterwards so when someone else checked they had taken off the clause "unless medically necessary." When they added Aetna - they did not have that rider either. So though the insurance company itself will or may cover it..if your employer does or doesn't  have the rider that is something to check up on first.  If you have insurance that you pay for directly - you might inquire what the cost difference would be if they cover it or if you have to add it to your policy. Best of luck to you!

saturn02
on 10/27/07 2:13 am - Hialeah, FL
Thanks for the info! 
Kristen H.
on 10/27/07 9:23 am - Orlando, FL
Wen you check with your benefits coordinator, ask if the Aetna PPO policy has a benefit, if the HMO policy does not.

HTH.
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
saturn02
on 10/28/07 11:18 am - Hialeah, FL
Thank you.  I hadn't even thought about the PPO.  I have a lot to do at work tomorrow with our HR Dept.  I'll keep you posted.
Kristen H.
on 11/2/07 11:27 am - Orlando, FL
Please do!!
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views