HELP NEEDED ASAP!!

shoegirl1023
on 10/23/07 1:54 am - Solon, OH
I HAD RNY IN DECEMBER 2005, AND I NEED TO CHANGE MY HEALTH INSURANCE ASAP AS I HAVE BEEN ON A COBRA SINCE LAST SUMMER. MY PROBLEM IS THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF INSURANCE COMPANIES THAT SEE ME AS PRE-EXISTING AND DON'T WANT TO INSURE ME. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM, AND IF SO, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT INSURANCE YOU HAVE NOW? I NEED TO KNOW ASAP AS I HAVE ONE MORE MONTH LEFT ON MY CURRENT INSURANCE PLAN. ISN'T IS SAD TO KNOW THAT, NOT ONLY WILL MOST INSURANCES DENY THIS SURGERY IN THE FIRST PLACE, YET THEY DON'T WANT TO TAKE YOU ON AS A HEALTHY PERSON - GO FIGURE!!! I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU SOON AND THANKS.

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

sds1arm2
on 10/23/07 5:36 am - Orlando, FL
You need to find a policy that has a "no a pre-existing clause."That way, even though you have already had the surgery, they will cover your follow up visits.
Ali

Redhaired
on 10/24/07 1:07 am, edited 10/24/07 1:07 am - Mouseville, FL
I thought there was something about when you did not have a lapse in coverage they could not do the pre-existing condition thing. Red Edited to add:  You might want to check with the state insurance commissioners office to see about buying into the states high risk insurance.  I think such an animal exists in Florida.  The premiums may be high -- but at least you will be covered.

Flor_Bellas
on 10/24/07 3:36 am - Miami, FL
Hi Joanne, I hear that United Healthcare has bariatric benefits.  I am going to enroll in that plan in November when they have open enrollment at my husband's job.  From what I've heard they are very good, I've got some co-workers who have that plan, but of course not where we work, they have it through their spouses.  I guess it depends with the plan you choose...but I've heard a lot of good things about United so I'm going to enroll with them to see if they'll cover the surgery if not then I will have to self-pay. Maria
marcoislandmom
on 10/25/07 8:30 pm - Naples, FL
Take a job anywhere that has benefits effective after 30 days (I think Walmart is one of the places). Big company insurance rarely if ever has pre-existing condition clauses. As soon as you pass the 30-day mark, you can get coverage. With the big firms, Cobra again becomes inexpensive, and, I hate to say this, you can quit and get Cobra again. I'd investigate this thoroughly, but that's how I got insurance for pregnancy more than 30 years ago.

Marco Island Mom
shoegirl1023
on 10/25/07 9:12 pm - Solon, OH
Hi, Thanks for your reply. So you're saying I could work for Walmart for 30 days, get their insurance and quit and go on Cobra?? Don't you think I would have to be there a certain amount of time to qualify for the cobra? Look forward to hearing from u again. Take care

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

Jan Ocala
on 10/25/07 9:55 pm - Ocala, FL
The people who work for BariatricEating.com were able to get BCBS group coverage in spite of the post-ops they have, but I was unsuccessful finding a policy to cover me.  Hope you can find one.
shoegirl1023
on 10/25/07 11:25 pm - Solon, OH
Group policy is so much easier. So who did you go with in the end, or didn't you? Thanks for your reply Jan and take care.

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader

Jan Ocala
on 10/26/07 2:52 am - Ocala, FL
I didn't go with anything because I'm excluded.  Thankfully I have a new job and will join their group in one more month.  I'm way overdue with my labs, but I gave blood so that at least they would check my iron and that's for free.  It was the best I could do under the cir****tances.
B Girl
on 10/26/07 6:30 am
Citibank offers health coverage effective the first day you start working for them.  I believe that the option for Cobra is regulated through the state.  What I mean to say is that the employer doesn't have the option of saying you had to be employed for X many days to elect cobra coverage when you leave the company.  That would allow you to get a job, get the coverage, then quit and elect the cobra coverage again.   Good luck to you.  It always makes me sad when I think of how many Americans are without health coverage for whatever reason. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views