Mt. Sinai in Miami - experiences?

PaulaToronto
on 10/17/07 12:32 pm - Toronto, Canada
Dr. Gagner is moving to Mt. Sinai in Miami effective early 2008.   I was scheduled to have the DS with him in NY but it had to be delayed.  I am now prepared to come to Miami.  What can you tell me about this hospital?  Good experiences or bad, I'd like to know about the level of care, etc.  Thanks. Paula 
Vickie J
on 10/21/07 5:00 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I did not have my wls at Mt. Sinai but I've had 4 rounds of plastic surgery there.  After my first  2 plastic surgeries (facial & LBL) I was on the regular surgical floor.  The rooms we Ok, nothing great, and I saw nursing "aides" more than nurses so the care was OK but a bit sporatic.    I "scheduled" a private room so my hubby could stay with me but there was a mix-up for my first surgery and they put me in a semi-private room.  When we reminded them that I was paying for a private room they said they didn't realize that but by that time there were no private rooms available so my hubby could not  stay with me which was the main reason I paid extra for a private room.  However, since I paid for a private room they said that if at all possible they would not put anyone else in my room and my hubby could stay unless they did have to put another person in with me.  It worked out so I didn't have to share the room & my hubby was able to sleep on the other bed in my room.   After my breast & arm plastic surgeies I was on "8 Main" which is called their "concierge" floor.  The rooms were lovely with a sitting area & huge bathroom.  My care was provided by nurses more than "aides" and the sofa converts to a bed so my husband was able to stay with me overnight (we requested & they brought him a roll-away bed b/c we didn't realize the sofa was a sofabed).    My plastic surgeon now requires his patients schedule their rooms on "8 Main" b/c there is a lower patient to nurse ratio than on the regular surgical floors.  The rooms on 8 Main cost extra but I agree with my ps - the difference in the care is worth the extra cost! Good luck with your surgery! Vickie J.

Vickie J. 
"Most dreams are lost by giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment."

PaulaToronto
on 10/22/07 2:31 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the info Vickie.  I'll make sure to ask for a tour of the rooms, etc. when I come down for my consultation. BTW you look wonderful. Do you happen to know whether there are any hotels, etc. catering to recovering patients in the area or do you think I might be better off trying to find a rental condo or motel? Thanks Paula
Vickie J
on 10/23/07 12:07 am - Tallahassee, FL
Paula, There are hotels in the area but I don't know if any cater to surgical recovery or not.  Your doctor or the gals in pre-op at Mt. Sinai could probably tell you.  Since I wasn't from the Miami area I stayed at a hotel for a week to 10 days.  However, since my surgeon is in Hollywood, FL I chose to stay at a hotel closer to his office than to the hospital and we just drove down to the hospital.  Since my hubby stayed with me at Mt. Sinai we only had to make one trip to/from Mt. Sinai. If you surgeon recomends some hotels, ask if they have negotiated a contract price for his patients.  I was able to get a much better than normal rate for our rooms b/c my doc had done this.  Also, if you're staying in a hotel, I'd try to find one that has more than just a "bedroom".  We stayed at hotels that had sitting rooms with sofa & chair, desk & chair, small fridge & microwave and free internet .  The free internet allowed my hubby worked from the hotel so he only had to use 2 days of vacation (each trip).  Also, if possible, find one that includes a nice breakfast - even though you won't be eating it, your care giver can.  We also kept a large cooler in our room for water & Crystal LIght & jello snack cups, etc.  We brought sandwich "stuff" and microwaveable "meals" so the only meal we ate out was dinner.   If you're like most of us, you'll do fine with your surgery and you'll be amazed at how little pain you have.  Just remember to follow your surgeon's instructions, walk as much as you can (up & down the hotel hall is a great place to walk) as often as you can, and keep sipping water! Vickie J. Good luck 

Vickie J. 
"Most dreams are lost by giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment."

Redhaired
on 10/23/07 2:36 am - Mouseville, FL
Paula- I think if you call the hospital and ask to speak to a patient advocate or one of the social workers they could probably give you some good information about what is available in the area.  You will need to be sure you get a negotiated rate because it sounds as if you will be coming down here (Florida) during high season.  In Florida hotel rates fluctuate with the time of year and January is going to be pretty expensive. I just think it is teriffic that Dr. Gagner is coming to Florida.  We have so needed a DS surgeon of his caliber down here.   It has been years since there was a surgeon with lots of DS experience -- that actually performed the DS in Florida.  Dr. Kim is experienced but no longer performs the DS and Dr. Overcash just started doing the DS.  But Dr. Gagner is in a different league. Red

Luvitsunny
on 10/24/07 12:34 pm - Sunny South, FL
I live in So. Miami...I can be a local contact if you need one should you decide to followthru at Mt. Sinai.  You can email me. Best of luck Paula. luvitsunnyv

See God's track record in your journey,

decide that you will trust Him. 

PaulaToronto
on 10/24/07 1:23 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thank you so much Sunny.  I will let you know when I am coming for my consultation and maybe we can meet then.   Paula
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views