Portal Hypertension = No WLS

BillyJulio
on 10/17/07 2:57 am - Largo, FL
Well here's my deal.  It has been a while since I have posted here and I really have no where else to go and ask for advice or support.   Im 25 yrs old.  I have been through one botched gastric bypass attempt and the surgeon decided to abort the surgery because my liver had inflammation due to the fatty deposits and also I had grade 1 varices on my stomach and esophagus.  So the combination of these things actually stopped my surgery and you can just imagine how angry I was when I woke up with the incisions but none of the work had been done.  That was in Oklahoma.  I now live in Florida so I thought I would try a doctor down here.   Everyone kept bragging on Dr. Rosenthal and how great he was so I knew he was the one for me.  Well yesterday, I had another appointment with him to discuss things and he said that my insides are too screwed up.   Here I am, 25 yrs young....480 lbs.  And no one can help me.  I will actually lay in bed at night and just cry because I think of all those people out there who are twice my age and almost twice my size and they can get the bypass with no problems.  Why does this seem to happen to me all the time? Is God punishing me?  What did I really do to deserve this?  Doctors have told me that if I dont lose the majority of my excess weight soon, then I wont live to see 30.  So what do I do?  Where do I go?  How do I handle this?  I have tried diets and failed....Im just getting tired of surviving day to day.
baytraci
on 10/17/07 4:40 am - Dundee, FL

Billy: From everything I have read on Grade One Verices, you should be thankful the doctor did not do the surgery. You could have hemmoraged to death. I know you must be heartbroken but Billy there are other ways to lose weight. I know you are probably thinking, "Yeah, look who this advice is coming from....someone who had the surgery" and you are right to think that. But at least you are alive to try to do it.  Try going to the Non-Surgical forum and get support from people there. I have been there and I have read some great success stories. It is worth a try. I don't think God is punishing you Billy. The devil might have his hand in this trying to make you blame God, but God is not doing this to you. And God will get you through this. I will keep you in my prayers. If you ever need to talk, please do not hesitate to contact me and I bet most everyone else on this site will be happy to listen to you too. God bless you! Traci Baylon

Traci Baylon
Surgery Date 3/1/2006
Starting Weight - 291
Current Weight - 148
Missy W.
on 10/17/07 4:48 am - Cloquet, MN
I agree with Traci, God isnt punishing you. I will keep you in my prayers. Please try the non-surgical board for advice. Talk to your doctor and see if there is any other programs that you could be enrolled in to aide you in losing weight. Maybe if you had more support, like someone with you more often that know what to do, you will be more successful in losing weight. I hope that makes sense. I am thinking about going to a clinic where you can check in and do a program more geared toward your needs.
I will be here if you need someone to vent to, just PM me.
God Bless you!
Michael Eak
on 10/17/07 8:05 am, edited 10/17/07 8:05 am - Largo, FL
Billy if you have time this Saturday, come talk with Dr.Ernest Rehnke at the Weight Loss Surgery Seminar of The Palms of Pasadena Hospital at 2:30 PM. WLS Seminar - Lap Band & Gastric Bypass & Post-op Support Group - This months topic is Relationships After Weight Loss Surgery Time: 2:30 PM   Surgeon: Dr. Ernest Rehnke  Location:  Palms of Pasadena Hospital  The first Professional Bldg. next to Pasadena Ave.,  On the First Floor in the Boca Ciega Room  1609 Pasadena Ave.  St. Petersburg, FL  www.obesitynomorefl.com Check the Clothing Exchange Racks too! 
Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
Ruth S.
on 10/18/07 10:13 am - Orlando, FL
If you are willing to travel I know Dr. Overcash would/could handle your case.  He has taken on many high risk cases and has been successful. His office # is 352)368-2828. Meet with him and explain and provide your medical history and keep us posted to see if he was able to help. Best of luck to you. This is not the end of the road just a sharp turn in things..I know I just got laid off and feel devasted but Im hoping with that things that I've wanted to do will turn around and happen now. Best of luck! Hugs, Ruthy
John Hoffmann
on 10/18/07 10:48 pm - Baltimore, MD
Billy: We can all appreciate your situation.  Dr. Rosenthal did my surgery over 18 months ago and I couldnt be happier.  You cant blame a surgeon for choosing to decline a surgery if he feels that his ability and/or the resources available to him arent adequate or the patient is a high risk factor. TV is inundated these days with shows about weight loss surgery and the surgeons willing to take on high risks patients.  I would recommend doing as much research as possible.  I'm sure there is someone out there willing to take on your case.  Dont let this get to you.  I was almost 500 pounds at one time in my life, well before weight loss surgery was so popular, and, like you, was told that I wouldnt live another 5 years is I didnt lose the weight.   One other thing I would suggest that worked for me in the past, though I didnt stick to it is the Atkins diet, if you havent already tried it.  I basically live this diet now, and couldnt feel better.  If you love meats, eggs, cheese, seafood and the like, this may work for you. Good luck to you and feel free to write if you wish.   John

John 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views