My surgery is 8 days away

suesue53
on 10/7/07 12:30 am - Central Florida, FL
My surgery for VSG is on 10-15-07. I am day two on the liquid diet. I am finding that I am pretty particular about the smell of the protein powders. I don't think it is truly the taste as much. Anyway I have decided that by day three I won't be as hungry late afternoon and late night seems to be the tough times for me. I am keeping busy which helps too. I feel very confident in my Doctor and the whole bariatric program that I am involved in so that helps tremendously. My emotions are pretty fragile at times but I think this is to be expected because this is such a lifestyle change. Any suggestions on preparing for Post Op will be welcomed. I will only be in the hospital one night. Susan

Marianne C.
on 10/7/07 12:36 am - Hudson, FL
Hey SueSue! I know JUST what you mean about the smell of the protein drinks. I have to drink them in a cup that has a top on it so that I don't get a wiff of the smell. It's strange because even though the taste is ok, that smell is nasty!   You are sooo close! I'm very excited for you! Keep up the great work with the liquid diet!  It's not so much to make you lose weight but to shrink your liver which is located so close to where the surgeon has to be doing the most work. So it's easier for him AND safer for you! Just think of that when you really want to ditch that liquid stuff. You only have 8 more days to go!  I'm saving a seat for you on this here losers bench. I'm a newbie here on the bench too so we can figure this all out together.

Most dreams are lost by giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment.

suesue53
on 10/7/07 3:02 am - Central Florida, FL
Marianne, the lid is a great idea. I have a camelback bottle and I guess before surgery it will be OK it does use a straw. I don't know some people say that some Doctor's don't want you to use a straw. After surgery I won't be able to drink enough for more than one straw full anyway so it might be a mute point. Thanks for the support, Susan

Marianne C.
on 10/7/07 4:49 am - Hudson, FL
Susan my surgeon never mentioned the straw issue one way or the other but I do read that many say using a straw will get air into your pouch and can cause distress. I have to say though.. I have used a straw right from a week out and so far I have not had a problem. It may depend on how you use the straw.. I"m just not sure. But if you do use it after surgery... just tread very carefully and if you notice a problem you'll know you're one of the ones that isn't able to use one. 

Most dreams are lost by giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment.

Jen D.
on 10/7/07 11:46 am - Central, FL
Hi Sue, Not sure what protein powder you are using, but there are so many different ones you could try that don't have an objectionable smell.  I use Ispoure Zero Carb Whey Protein.  I love the dutch chocolate.  To me it smells like Nestle Quick.  I mix it with water in a shaker bottle.  I'm 2.5 weeks post-op and still drink it daily.  I wasn't a big fan of the Unjury.  Just didn't taste right to me. Dr. Kim is great.  You're in great hands.  And you can use a straw post-op if it helps you get your fluids in.  At first, you will need to take really small sips from a 2 oz. cup, but after a few days, when you get the hang of small sips, a straw is ok. My two suggestions:  in the hospital, if you don't have a recliner in your room, ask for one.  I slept in mine and it made all the difference.  The hospital bed was just way too uncomfortable.  I also slept in a recliner at home for the first few nights.  It's a lot easier to get in and out of, and I'm not usually a back sleeper, so the recliner was more comfortable than the bed for the first couple of nights. Also, make sure, when you are in the hospital that you are prepared to ask for pain meds and nausea meds when YOU want them.  They may not offer.  You may have to buzz the nurse and ask for them.  I thought I'd have a morphine pump, but didn't.  They gave me IV injections for pain.  I could tell when my meds were wearing off, and I didn't want any pain or nausea, so as soon as I felt them wearing off, I called for the nurse.  The first day, the nurses were amazing.  The second day (probably because i was doing so well), was a little bit frustrating.  I often had to wait an hour after calling for a nurse.  I was discharged at 6 pm the day after my surgery.   Do know that if you need to stay an extra day, you are entitled to.  Dr. Kim's package price includes 48 hours in the hospital.   PM me if you have any questions.  I'm happy to share.  All the best!!  Jen

Jen D.

PreVSG/PostVSG:  263/193

Restart/Current/Goal:  235/228/160

suesue53
on 10/7/07 9:47 pm - Central Florida, FL
Hi Jen, it is nice to hear from someone who has been on the other side. I guess I expected to like the Unjury because a lot of people on the board seem to but everyone's tastes are different. I wil definitely try the Isopure. I plan to get some today. Hopefully, I can return two of the canisters of Unjury to Dr. Kim's office when I am there tomorrow for the Nutritionists orientation. The recliner sounds like a good idea also.
I am encouraged for all of my "suffering" with the liquid diet I have lost 4 pounds in two days. Hopefully it will continue but I know it will slow down probably water weight. I am sure I will have more questions and thanks for being there. Susan

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views