Drinking Before Meals

sds1arm2
on 10/1/07 6:15 am - Orlando, FL
I forgot to ask my doctor this today when I was there getting my very first fill. You constantly drink throughout the day right? So, why exactly should we not drink 30 minutes before a meal?  There probably isn't any food remaining in there and since it is liquid, it should pass right through anyway. Any ideas?
Ali

Kristen H.
on 10/1/07 10:36 am - Orlando, FL
You shouldn't drink thirty minutes before a meal because you do not want liquid left in your pouch/stomach to reduce the amount of food nutrients you can ingest. Residual liquids also slow digestion. The more liquid there is in the stomach, the more difficult it is for the food to digest because the liquid must first be absorbed.

HTH.
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
Marianne C.
on 10/2/07 5:25 am - Hudson, FL
I have read this to be true also Kristen. SO... here's MY question then. Why do SOME surgeons say their patients are allowed to drink UP TO their first bite? 

Most dreams are lost by giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment.

Kristen H.
on 10/2/07 9:47 am - Orlando, FL
That's a great question!

It depends on several variables. For the new post-ops, some surgeons would feel comfortable saying to sip until the first bite because they are sipping 1/2 teaspoon to 1/2 tablespoon at a time - something that trickles on through easily enough. For the "mature" postop, they might be sipping/drinking significantly more. It's another great example of all patients doing whatever their surgeon prescribes.

On a separate note - OMG, look at you!! You look so incredible!!! May I assume that you feel just as awesome?
Kristen
Lap RNY 10-25-04
310/135/@ Goal!
Marianne C.
on 10/2/07 10:21 am - Hudson, FL

Thank you Kristen... that makes a lot of sense.   And yes! yes! yes!!!!  Thank you!!!!!!  It is INCREDIBLE how wonderful I feel!!!!   

Most dreams are lost by giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views