Bonking...?

CollieMom
on 11/11/17 8:14 pm
RNY on 05/19/17

I recently asked this question over in the RNY group, but perhaps I should have put it on the table here -

Pre-surgery ****il I was no longer able), I was a road cyclist. My friends and I would ride 40-60 miles several times a week. I'm trying now to recondition myself to get back to that but I'm having a really tough time with bonking.

Have any of you had this issue? If so, how have you managed your food to be able to deal with it?

I can no longer tolerate even tiny amounts of sugar. It makes me puke. So I can no longer use commercial endurance bars, drinks or gels since they are all sucrose based. Eating a protein bar doesn't really work because then I can't hydrate for a half hour - which would certainly stress me nearly as bad as bonking.

If any of you have had to deal with this I would sure love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Karen

62 year old woman, surgery 5/19/2017 - HW - 345, CW - 139, GW - 160ish (BMI based healthy weight - 140)

highlandbear
on 11/12/17 6:36 pm - Canada

The one question I have how do you do with natural sugar such as honey or maple syrup. I do not do well with sugars but I can handle those so I buy this one gel that is maple syrup and sea salt which gets me through. I also this summer found crackers that I can handle on a bike ride and allows me to jump off and go into a run without upsetting my stomach. what about cutting up apple into small pieces and carry that or oranges. I am so far out that for runs and bike rides I will take in fuel and have a drink. There is a lot you can do for biking. you just need to find out what your system will handle. It can take awhile but keep trying.

docbad32
on 11/13/17 8:22 am

Have you tried liquid fuel products? Generation Ucan doesn't get carbs from sugar, I believe. Will also help getting around the drinking while eating situation. I'm lucky enough to be able to eat just about anything, but my go to fuel is Tailwind. It's super nice to get hydration and calories at the same time.

VSG:  3/12/15

Gwen M.
on 11/18/17 9:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I thought this was going to be about sex. Sigh.

I agree with the suggestion of honey or maple syrup. Maybe diluting them in water would help - more sustained energy and not the sugar intake all at once.

You could also do protein in a drink. Maybe a clear/thin protein vs. a shake.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active