What can I do to actually get motivated?

jenorama
on 10/11/17 1:48 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I find it difficult to interrupt my workday to go to the gym, so I go in the morning. My motivator is the money I pay my personal trainer--there's no way I'm wasting those $$.

I was on the fence for a long time about going to the gym. I knew I wanted to lift weights to gain strength and muscle mass, but I didn't want to go to the gym and just faff around like a jerk, so I hooked up with one of the trainers my work's gym has available and having the regular appointment with him is what keeps me going. I know if I was going on my own, I wouldn't be nearly as consistent.

I think you might need to enlist the help of your teenager with the toddler if possible so you can work out after work. Getting a gym buddy that you have an "appointment" with might be a good way to keep you consistently going as well. I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Jen

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/11/17 4:15 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Music. For me, music motivates me to move more. If you loved working out b4 work, you'll probably be better off trying to find ways to do that instead of trying to squeeze it in during your lunch break or after work where you might be tired.

You're lucky to have a gym at work, but finding time to use it can be a challenge, especially if you don't really feel like using it. I'm guessing you'll have to find little things you can do at work if you can't fit in a regular workout, like using the stairs to go up to your office. Parking at the back of the parking lot & walk at a brisk pace to the office. Get a kettle ball or a small weight & use it at your desk. etc, etc.

The little things, built up, might give you the motivation you seek to up your cardio game.

Good Luck

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

NANNY13
on 10/18/17 12:26 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

I do believe we all have different inside clocks. You sound happier working out 1st thing in the morning. Maybe you could wear your workout clothes into work and do it before work or take a quick run prior to getting into the car to drive there. Actually breaking up your workout is probably a great idea if you can swing it. I put my workout clothes right in the bathroom the night before and jump into them 1st thing in the morning on my way out to the coffee pot. That way I am out the door and running before I have woken up enough to change my mind

Rochelle R.
on 10/25/17 7:47 am
VSG on 05/24/16

I sometimes struggle with staying motivated as well. Earlier this year I signed up for six different 5K events so I had them on my calendar as a reminder to workout and train. I keep a pair of sneakers at my desk so I can go for a walk during lunch or between meetings instead of sitting all day. I'm generally successful with this 2-3 times per week as sometimes with back to back meetings it just doesn't work.

Back in September, I took a workshop called, Relieving Stress: Self-Care for Busy People. It was taught by my daughter, Vanessa, who has been an allied health professional for many years. I learned a lot in those 90-minutes and have been able to implement some of her suggestions. I particularly found the breathing exercises beneficial. Being able to calm my mind and focus has helped me to stay motivated not only in my wellness journey but overall.

You can download a free copy of the exercises here if you like. www.Rochelleliveswell.com

Laura in Texas
on 11/6/17 9:36 am

Do you have a fitbit or other fitness tracker? I will admit I was a complete slug 2 years ago. I figured out I could maintain my weight without exercise, so I stopped doing it. It was not until my SO had a stroke that I realized I had to take care of my health and that I had to include more activity in my daily routine.

I have had my fitbit for 2.5 years now. I have only missed my weekly goal of 70,000 steps once in that time period. I have worn it every day since I got it. It keeps me on track. My surgeon is a firm believer that his patients who get in at least 10,000 steps a day are far more successful than those who don't.

I was skeptical that a simple device could change my life so dramatically, but it has.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

summerset
on 12/24/17 9:07 am

I concentrate on the immediate benefits of the workout, e. g. the endorphins that make me feel better while working out, the calm feeling immediately after a work out.

danielhenry12
on 6/14/18 9:24 pm

I am motivated none other than by myself, because I have set up my goal and daily work schedule like jumping rope, pushups, bit of Gym exercises and then most important jumping on Trampoline.

Most Active