I survived!

Gwen M.
on 3/12/17 9:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I posted this to the VSG forum, but I'll put it here too :)

I survived my race yesterday! Today, my right foot hurts and everything else is sore, but I'm okayish. I'm going to see Logan this morning and then I'm going to hope that my brain is functional enough to work on school, since my body is non-functional! I also need to meal plan for next week so I can grocery shop tomorrow.

The race was good. It was SUPER cold so to run I had undies, cold gear leggings, shorts, socks, sports bra, cold gear long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, cold gear quarter zip, normal quarter zip, wind/rain running jacket, winter gloves, winter hat, and a thin neck gaiter. Pre-run, while waiting, I also had sweatpants and a hoodie, but those got donated once I entered the race corrals. (This is common for races, people wear extra layers - lots of bathrobes... and then leave them at the side of the road where race volunteers collect them for donation. I think this is awesome.) My point of failure ended up being my fingers. I ran around 4 miles of the race with them curled back into my sleeves. Next time I had to run this distance in this weather, I'll get a pair of mittens to wear over my gloves.

The race was good though. I had to potty between miles 3 and 4. Around mile 6-7 there was a HUGE hill that I walked up. I ended up having someone talk to me around mile 8 and then I felt guilty for not talking back, so I walked with her for about a mile which was a mistake because this gave my muscles time to cool down so running during the rest of the race was really, really hard. I think I walked the last 2 miles. (13.1 miles total, 21 kilometers.)

I hurt in more places yesterday, the hot shower after the race was the best, and the friends we stayed with had hot tea waiting post-shower. I was aiming for a 4:00:00 finish and I did 3:53:20. My goals for the race were "beat the time limit and don't die" so I'm VERY VERY happy with my time and my achievement! Especially considering I'm coming off an injury and currently in physical therapy.

I'm also already registered for next year's RNR DC half marathon, so I'm hoping that I'll be all recovered from plastics in time to train enough to be successful! Yay!

I R RUNNER HEAR ME ROAR!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

billmacc7
on 3/12/17 3:01 pm - MA

Go Gwen! Congratulations on completing your race as I know you've been dealing with challenges going into it. You should be very proud of your accomplishment!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Renee C.
on 3/13/17 8:06 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

Congrats!!

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

thelma123
on 3/22/17 12:00 am

Congrats on your survival! Wish you all the success in future. :)

Most Active