Looking for help

Scaredofbeingdifferent
on 8/26/16 6:18 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 05/09/17

So, I thought I'd get the ball rolling on working out before I even talk to the nutritious and surgeon. My appointment is in 2 weeks. My first appointment. I'm a self conscious about going to gym. 

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on working out at home. Any exercises or mediation to get me going. Mine you, I'm 465lbs and tire easily. I'm really ready for a change. I'm ready to live.

Thanks,

Mika

acbbrown
on 8/27/16 6:38 am - Granada Hills, CA

Honestly when I was 420 lbs and I first started to exercise - I started by walking a 1/4 mile at a time and eventually progressed by increasing 1/4 mile at a time. My first whole mile took me 25 min but eventually I was able to RUN a half marathon. It took a couple years but persistence and consistency are keys. 

I would recommend maybe some resistance bands and videos to start getting some resistance training in. Maybe some kind of chair exercises - you can google and get some ideas there. 

Mostly i just want to say congrats on getting started - it's an exciting journey. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Scaredofbeingdifferent
on 9/4/16 3:51 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 05/09/17

Thank you so much for the motivation! I went to get the resistance bands and this week has been non-stop chair exercises. I've been super conscience of walking, so I started walking in my back yard for 20 mins each morning and evening!

highlandbear
on 8/27/16 11:09 am - Canada

Start with walking it is the best for you nice and slow. How would feel about going to a pool and working out. I know at the pool I belong to they have times where it is just woman and people go in the shorts and tops and there are some real heavy people but when you are in the water no one notice. The water would make it easier on your joints

Scaredofbeingdifferent
on 9/4/16 3:54 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 05/09/17

Thank you for that idea. Never would have thought of the pool! It's been walking and chair exercises for the week so far.

I am truly gracious for all the responses that I've gotten. Thanks alot you guys!

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/16 4:58 pm

Congrats on your decision to get healthier. There is never a reason to feel self conscious about that. One lesson I've learned is you don't have to train like an Olympian. Just simple walking is very effective and you can do it anywhere.

I've lost 150lbs and I can run, but I'm a little tired and not feeling as well today so I'm about to go to a local park to walk a bit. I just want to get some steps in and I'm always glad I did, even if it seems like no big deal.

Scaredofbeingdifferent
on 9/4/16 3:56 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 05/09/17

Just seeing the progress that everyone here has accomplished has made me so joyous. I'm so happy to know that at some point in you guys lives that you've felt the same way as me.

I think I'm learning that I don't have to be an Olympian. I just need to set my own pace. I'm doing it. 

So thanks again, I really appreciate it. 

Charlie12
on 8/31/16 5:07 am

First of all, congratulations on your decision. 

Since you want to start working out and you are overweight, I suggest walking around your neighborhood as a first exercise. It will get your heart going and also you will burn calories. 

What you can do also is, you can take 2 bottles and fill them with water (pretend they are dumbbells) and start working some exercises that you find on the internet using those so called dumbbells. It's a great start and you will get your motivation in no time.

Scaredofbeingdifferent
on 9/4/16 3:53 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 05/09/17

Thanks!! 

I actually have the dumb bells, and I alternated between those and can good items to get different weigh options!

I'm changing my diet and finding out, that I don't miss certain foods already!

Charlie12
on 9/5/16 5:21 am

Very well, I'm glad that you are trying on something new. Let me know if you need more help, I'm open for conversations.

Most Active