Getting my mojo back

Gwen M.
on 8/19/16 4:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My dad died in April and I just sort of lost my love of exercise.  I had been doing fitness classes 6 hours a week, training for a half marathon, and a few other things, but I just sort of stopped when my dad died.  Part of that was due to lack of time - helping my mom to sell her home and move, finishing up 16 credit hours at college, but part of it was just... lack of interest.  I've done some random things here and there.  I've gone to a few fitness classes, I did the first day of my favorite 5k training plan, I went to this amazing place called ClimbZone and climbed walls for 3 hours and felt strong and capable and amazing.  But I'm just sort of stuck in this rut and it's hard to get out of it.  The heat sucks, my stomach has been upset a lot in the mornings due to untreated Binge Eating Disorder (which is NOW treated).. Blah.  

But I want to get myself out of this rut.  I want to find my passion for exercise again.  I dropped my two half marathon registrations down to the shorter available distances so I've got a 5 miler in September and a 5k in October - I want to be able to do those.  I miss my exercise class friends and want to get back to those things.  I found a local climbing place (ClimbZone was about an hour drive away) and I think it would be awesome to get in to climb every other week or so.  

Motivation is lacking, though :(  

What have you done to get yourself out of a sedentary rut?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

highlandbear
on 8/19/16 4:25 pm - Canada

It is not easy once you stop your exercise. You just have to make yourself go and once you do it for a few weeks you will find that you are back into it. The one reason I try and make sure I have races spaced out throughout the year is so I know I have to keep training and I plan on one big race a year so I know even when I don't have a race coming up right away i keep training because of the big picture i have. This year it is a 50k race and next year a half iron man so i know i need to work my ass off to be ready for it. It helps to find a friend that will work out with you because than you know you have to go. When it comes down to it though you have to want to do it and just make yourself go.

Set your goal for the half marathon for next year sign up for it and than you will have to workout and train 

Good luck

Gwen M.
on 8/19/16 5:34 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Thankfully I'm already signed up for a half in March.  

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/20/16 9:22 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Hey there girl!, so glad you're starting to get your mojo back. It's gonna take time though. You've been thru & have done a lot lately so getting back into the habit of things can be a mental as well as a physical challenge.

Sometimes you've just got to do it & get out there even if you're not feeling passionate about it. Passions change. Hell I luv my bike riding but sometimes I'm not really feeling it some days, so doing something else, maybe complimentary to it helps re ignite my passion for it. 

Like I'm starting to get into weights, mostly because wind still kicks my ass on the paths, so I'm looking to get stronger legs. I like walking, but some days I don't want/can't go outside, plus I feel really uncoordinated to do my shuffle pathetic attempt at running outside so I finally got a treadmill & maybe work up to this run thing so many people seem to like so much, if anything at least I'll get my steps in on rainy days. :)

After all that, makes me appreciate bike riding even more.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Gwen M.
on 8/21/16 4:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm really trying to.  Especially since I see my lean mass numbers dropping... I'm at 110 lean mass right now and I think that 95 is as low as I can go.  So I need to start working on maintaining my lean mass!  

I'm sort of wondering if I just need to do something different - like this rock climbing thing.  Maybe I need to shake up my routine.  

I am hoping to go to pilates and yoga on Wednesday.  That's really the only exercise I have planned this coming week since I'll be out of town Th-Su.  

I think, then, that my plan will be to get back to running on the 30th and start lifting weights again on the 10th.  

My ultimate schedule for the fall term is:

M: weights
Tu: running
W: pilates class
Th: running
F: pilates/yoga class, tai chi class, pilates class
Sa: weights
Su: running

I feel like I just need to force myself to do it for a month and then I'll have my mojo back.  

billmacc7
on 8/22/16 8:53 am - MA

Good Morning GwenM.-I ABSOLUTELY understand your challenge about consistently working out more so having the desire to do so.

I did a marathon back in May. It was simply amazing that a guy who was 350 Ponds could now do that!  I trained diligently fir it. Still, since then I have been lacking effort and more importantly DESIRE to do anything. I had a lot of other things that deterred me (Our daughters wedding, Lyme Disease, nagging injuries et al) but mostly just was not into it. I did continue to workout but begrudgingly. Plus this past was brutally hot in Massachusetts so running was limited.

I wish I could find the key to desire but sometimes  it is not there. I have faith it will return but till then I just do the bed I can each day.

Here is to hoping we BOTH get our MOJO back!!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Gwen M.
on 8/22/16 8:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's so challenging!  I really feel like I've just got to fake it till I make it but, ugh.  We CAN do it though.  Since we are awesome :)

billmacc7
on 8/22/16 5:49 pm - MA

It is a challenge!  Yep, sometimes faking it to make it! Agreed we WILL do it because we deserve it

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Most Active