Why are so many people here against working out/exercise?

MommaGbear
on 7/28/16 2:13 pm
VSG on 04/29/15 with

My doctors basically have said that 95% of weight loss is diet, but 95% of KEEPING it off is exercise. Finding activity that you are willing to do, and doing it regularly, will help keep you on track. Also, you will lose weight more easily if you are exercising properly.

As for me, I've only recently started exercising. I lost over 100# after my VSG without any exercise program at all. I've been pretty steady on about an 800 calorie diet. I joined Orange Theory Fitness last month because I liked the idea of personal training but not the price. I fell in love. I'm seriously, seriously in love. One of my trainers also runs a lean muscle building class, which I've also joined. The biggest struggle I'm currently having is how to adjust my diet to help build lean muscle mass and account for the extra work I'm doing without overdoing it. I've lost about 5# since starting, but I haven't quite got the nutritional needs worked out yet. I've added in protein shakes (1/2 before and after a workout) to help, and I'm taking in a bit more protein than I was. It's really hard to find good advice on athletic style nutrition for those of us post-WLS. I'm up to between 1000 - 1200 calories/day on workout days and the day after because otherwise I'm just STARVING all the time. I'm looking for a nutritionist in my area that knows about fitness training and WLS, but I haven't found one yet. 

This is the first time in my life I've liked exercise. I love how strong and powerful I feel. I love that, within a month, I went from barely being able to walk at 3.5 mph steadily to JOGGING! Yes, I jogged...without anything chasing me! I'm attending class 3-4 days per week, and I just can't wait to get back to it. It's really strange feeling. For the first time, I feel like I can actually become a FIT person, not just a less fat person. For me, that's kindof like a miracle. 

Anyway, I guess my point here is I don't get the exercise hate either. Yes, it's not an answer in and of itself, but it is an important part of having a successful lifestyle change. For me, the success I've had from the VSG has inspired me to want to be successful in other ways, and I believe I can do it. It's an incredible feeling. 

(Sadly, I broke my tailbone on Sunday, so I'm out of the gym for the next month while that heals. I'm beyond sad about this, yet more determined than ever to get back to it ASAP.)

Most Active