Why are so many people here against working out/exercise?

SkinnyScientist
on 7/5/16 9:35 am

"People think working out means slogging away at the gym on some boring machine for 2 hours every day and watching people who look like underwear models not even break into a sweat"

You know...this is how I felt about running when I first started. All these taller, leaner, fast gazelle/humans that could outpace and out-last me.

I really haven't started feeling comfortable about my running until I joined a Galloway Run/walk/run program.  For the first time EVER I found a group of people that run my pace, arent apologizing about it, and are meeting their marathon goals.  There is even a walking group in the Galloway training programs for those that want to walk full and half marathons. They always let the injured runners join them and are a quite welcoming crowd.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed running..but I kind of felt like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer as in I was/am the super slow runner that stands out and "isnt like the other runners".

Getting off the dreadmill and finding a group in which one fits REALLY improves the enjoyment of excerise.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/5/16 10:05 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I started my couch to 5 k program yesterday after my workout. Was going to ask my wife how much longer she had but  I figured I had enough time but we ended up leaving the gym :(

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

SkinnyScientist
on 7/5/16 4:47 pm

oooh!  That is too bad.  I remembered C25K.  I found it inspirational to do the longer runs with the group once a week.

Next thing ya know, you will be running with the Hash House Harriers singing bawdy songs about beer...

travsis3890
on 7/5/16 3:57 am

Having a considerable history of lethargy I can understand the negative sentiment against exercise mostly emanates from our brain refusing to let go of the status quo. It wants to live inside the cocoon of its comfort zone and any thought of making it get out of it is met with serious skepticism.

I agree with the fact that workout being enjoyable can really help. Especially sports can be a good way to remain fit. Swimming is definitely my favorite way to burn calories.

SkinnyScientist
on 7/5/16 9:36 am

In the beginning, liek for the first few months of exercising (i.e. 4-5) I actually felt MORE tired after exercising than I did when I didnt.

Now, I have a cup of coffee and some exercise and it truly wakes me up/energizes me.

It sounds crazy but after about a year, exercise can be your battery/energy source.

Laura in Texas
on 7/5/16 5:29 am

I don't believe any of us are "against" exercise. I have been a part of this community for 9 years now. For those of us who have been here a long time, we have seen too many people post things like, "I am burning 5000 calories a day, why am I not losing?" These same people refuse to watch what they eat. They mistakenly believe they are burning 5000 calories a day and that they can eat 3000 of them back. That mindset is where the trouble lies.

I never exercised pre-RNY. About 8 months post-op, I did begin to exercise. I exercised like crazy for about 2 years. Then life got in the way and I quit. I ate well, stuck to my plan, and I maintained my 200 pound loss for the next few years without a problem. My measurements stayed the same and I still fit into the same clothes. 

About a year ago, my boyfriend had a stroke. That turned my life around. I knew I had to exercise for my health, so that is what I do now.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/5/16 5:31 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Agreed

I got back into the gym yesterday, been counting down the days since surgery. I technically was supposed to wait until Thursday, but I had tested out my abdominal muscles with planks + push ups and had no pain.

Hit the weights for a whole body workout at super light weight (my strength is incredibly diminished since having surgery... talk about disheartening)

Feeling it today in a good sore muscle way. Cant wait to get back in again in a few days :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

SkinnyScientist
on 7/5/16 9:39 am

"I am burning 5000 calories a day, why am I not losing?" These same people refuse to watch what they eat.."

This is true. I am "injured" and havent been putting on the mileage like normal. Even though I watch what I ate, in these two weeks I have lost two lbs (I.e. one pound a week) cuz I am not hungry. I am not hungry because I am not running 30+ miles per week...

Exercise can make one more hungry and incorrectly give one an impression that they can "let up just a little" when one really shouldnt

SkinnyScientist
on 7/5/16 9:42 am

I just want to point out that exercise gives us a non-food outlet in which to develop new interests and new health conscience friends.

Pre-op: Loved going to breakfast lunch and dinner with friends, neighbors, bible study folks and even strangers! I loved wine tasting, beer tasting and chocolate tasting.

Postop: the ways I meet people now and keep in touch is fitness groups. Wine tasting is ONE even per week (NOT every other night)....

If I didn't exercise, I certainly would have failed...I wouldnt have had the social support and entertainment.

Steph Meat Hag
on 7/19/16 12:49 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-m yth-burn-calories

Check out the above article.  I found it helpful in putting exercise in it's proper for me place.  For me it's important that I move and keep myself able to do the things I want to in life.  I want to be able to walk quickly a 5k anytime I please.  I want to be able to walk quickly a 10k with a couple weeks planning.  I want to walk quickly a 1/2 marathon in December this year.  I do not want to job a 5,10, or 1/2 this year due to my feelings that it's not necessary but also that I've put enough strain on my joints for awhile being obese.  

When I got done with my 6 weeks post op I joined a fitness group.  The first thing the instructor said... I do not believe in exercise to loose weight.  We will work out, we will sweat, and we will get more fit.  I took that home and digested it, and remembered that your right a lot of people on here seem against exercise.  However once reading the info above and looking at what those against exercise was really saying, I came to a few conclusions.

Not exercising is not the primary reason I got fat.  I was eating 1/2 a pizza while watching tv, I drank sodas all day, I visited Starbucks and McDonalds the same day, I ate a lot of processed high sugar and high fat foods.  I did this for years and years until I called a halt to it.  No amount of exercise was going to cover up those horrible habits.  I can drink a large frappe in 15mins but there is not one exercise on earth that I can think of that will burn off that many calories in the same time.  So to me food is my first concern, exercise is there to help me feel better, tone muscles, and help me do my daily grind. However I'm not going to count on it to loose weight.  

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Most Active