First trip to a gym. What am I looking for?

alsokeppy
on 3/5/16 11:26 am
RNY on 02/29/16

So RNY completed 2/29/16. I've been doing some minor walking since then, but know I need something more structured. Being honest here, I am still terrified to walk into a gym. I will look completely out of place and have no clue as to what I'm doing. Any suggestions to help me get over this mental hump?

Gwen M.
on 3/6/16 12:39 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Everyone who is at the gym is there because they're working on something and everyone is more concerned about you judging them to have time to judge you :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 3/6/16 5:27 pm

Focus on one thing a day or even a week. I rode the recumbent bike for 20 minutes and that's all I did for the first week. Then I added one thing more every few days. I did not want to overwhelm myself. If I needed help, I asked someone who worked there, but only one thing at a time. I know I was overwhelmed at first, but that helped me get over the hump.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Han Shot First
on 3/6/16 8:51 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

For me, the most important thing was to just finally go.  Once you get that first time out of the way, you'll see it's not a big deal at all.

I just simply walked on the treadmill for the first few weeks before I moved on to the weight machines.  The nice thing about these is that they have illustrated directions on them (at least the ones at my gym do).  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

dog_hair_dinner
on 3/7/16 11:44 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I looked up different exercises on sparkpeople.com.  I picked out one for each muscle group and made myself a little workout routine. I printed out the exercises with a little picture of each on paper in a Word document and brought that to the gym. Sparkpeople has videos there to show you how to do the different exercises.  Then I'd go to the gym and do it.  I was able to build a little strength doing that and had much more confidence that I knew what I was doing from observing proper form from the videos.  I'm not sure if there are other better services out there for this.

The BEST gym experience for me was seeing a trainer, though.  However, they are EXPENSIVE.  For me, it was well worth it. I had a tonne of fun and learned how much I LOVE weight lifting. My first trainer helped me get rid of body pain that I had developed from obesity and also my sedentary job.  My second trainer helped me build strength and muscle.  Both experiences were invaluable.  I hope to continue seeing a trainer at least 6 months out of the year for as long as I can.  

It's a lot of money though.  I paid about $4k CDN for 3x a week for 6 months.  I looked at it like, "Would you rather take a vacation / get a car / buy something?  Or would you rather do this?".  For me, I would rather do that.  6 months of feeling awesome compared to 2 weeks on a cruise or something?.....I'd take the 6 months of training.  Perhaps when I'm thinner and able, I'll take the vacation and go hiking somewhere exotic.

Most Active