Starting my weight loss journey

FunWeightLoss
on 2/25/16 3:28 am

Hi All, 

Thank you in advance for all your help!

After years of 'abusing' my body I have finally decided to start looking after myself a bit more. 

If I'm being honest I hate exercise so I'm looking to find something that's fun to help me achieve my goal, I'm looking forward to getting started but I would like the effort I put in to have a payoff. One thing I do enjoy is swimming, but I'm concerned if I plan my regime around swimming that I won't be doing enough. 

I have found these (http://www.physicalcompany.co.uk/ergobelt-blue-pid5871.html) online but I'm not sure what this could do for me, can someone explain what the aerobic water belts are good for, and would one of these be helpful for my weight loss? 

Thank you for your help!

White Dove
on 2/26/16 3:50 am - Warren, OH

Belts are good for people whose legs, feet, or knees are too weak to bear their weight in the water.  You will burn more calories if you can keep your feet on the bottom of the pool for water running, water walking and water aerobics.

I have maintained my weight for years with very little exercise except for walking and water aerobics. 

Weight loss will come from eating fewer calories.  Track everything you eat.  You need roughly ten times your weight to maintain (example 150 pounds needs 1500 calories a day).

To lose a pound a week, cut down 500 calories a day, so 1000 instead of 1500.  Weigh everything you eat and be sure you are tracking correctly.  Weigh yourself daily and you will see a pound lighter by the end of a week.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

dog_hair_dinner
on 2/26/16 7:13 am, edited 2/25/16 11:16 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

wouldn't you burn more calories if your feet did NOT touch the floor, because you don't have the stability of your feet to keep you upright?  you would have to use the rest of your body to do so.

I do water aerobics in a shallow pool sometimes and I find that MUCH easier than the deep-water aerobics where we use these belts to keep us afloat.  Keeping upright and in place in the deep-water aerobics is alot of work moving my arms, legs, and core.

White Dove
on 2/26/16 7:25 am - Warren, OH

That makes sense.  I only use the belt to thread water in the deep end of the pool and am not using my arms.

FunWeightLoss
on 3/2/16 7:18 am

Thanks for the info, do you have any tips on what foods are best for me to eat to get what I need but lower my calorie intake? 

Cheers! 

dickswall
on 3/2/16 12:55 am

yes i learnt that you should eat less to lose weight but can you please tell me how much to exercise in order to lose a pond per week

White Dove
on 3/2/16 9:06 am - Warren, OH

Go to the Atkins website and download their app.  You can create a grocery list.  The next step is the hardest and most important.  Go through your refrigerator and cupboards and clean out all carbs.  That includes milk.

Put them in the trash or take them to the food mission.  For the next two weeks, do Atkins induction plan.  Use ketosticks to be sure you are in ketosis.  You will be eating chicken, turkey, fish, steak, beef, pork, eggs, bacon, cheese and green vegetables.  Keep your carbs between 15 and 22 a day.  The app will help with that.

Weigh yourself daily.  Take fiber supplements every day.  I really recommend Citrucel. You will drop at least 10 pounds in two weeks.  Then go to a regular Atkins diet or a post-op plan.

Most Active