Finally bought a FIT*****ARGE HR REVIEW

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/22/16 5:26 am, edited 2/22/16 5:52 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

After researching fitness trackers like forever and being totally confused, I bought the Fit*****arge HR.  I wanted the HR feature without wearing a chest strap and figured that eventually I would be interested in getting the scale that hooks up with the bracelet and the on-line app - so that narrows the field.  (I already don't like wearing a fitness bra, so I didn't think I would want yet another snug strap around my chest - it it would even stay up.  I didn't try one so maybe they are not as bad as they sound.  I just fidn't think I would use the strap very often)

So after a few days - here is my take on the FIT*****arge HR. (As you can tell, I am not getting a kick-back from FitBit or anyone else). 

What I like about it -  It buzzes several times and the little face lights up to celebrate when you have reached 10,000 steps.  I think that you can change your goal, but I have not had the courage or time to sync the tracker with the web app. 

IMHO - I would not pay all the extra money for the Charge HR because you have to push the LITTLE button 3 times for the heart rate to show up - so the HR monitor is useless during a real workout.  Fitbit seems so concerned with battery life that they have designed a watch where the important features are hard to access or disabled.

Problem #2 - there is no idle alert - a vibration telling you to get up off your butt and move - if I am idle too long, problems (my legs swell, etc).  Many people have requested/begged for this feature on the FITBIT website, but no real commitment response from Fitbit.

Problem #3 - the gizmo is not designed to come off the bracelet.  Well, think about wearing that silicome bracelet nearly 24/7 - many are reported to peel and crack.  After a week, mine is still in good shape, but I would feel better about plunking down that much money if I knew I could buy a new strap (and cuter strap) and not have to beg Fitbit for a replacement or buy a new one.

Problem #4 - the bracelet is really ugly for a woman.  I bought a ring that has an elastic band and use it to jazz it up.  No one can really tell that it is a fitness tracker.  I'll look for other things to jazz it up.

OBSERVATION - Fitbit has concentrated on the watch features - who needs a watch for the time anymore- who is designing the thing anyway -someone from the 1950s??  That is important because the Charge HR has a neat feature: If you flick your wrist - the face automatically lights up and displays the time - if Fit*****anged this so that when you flicked your wrist the HR showed up, I would feel that the Charge HR was worth the money. 

Anyone have tips for me - or another recommendation for a tracker, I am open. 

I think the new Garmin VivioSmart with HR in the band is similarly priced and addresses some of these concerns and is worth a look.  Anyone have one???  What is it like to use long term? 

Sharon

supershopper
on 2/22/16 11:02 am

I got the flex for christmas and had to stop wearing on my wrist. I was breaking out all up and down my arm. Had to get the magnetic clippy to wear on my shirt or hook to bra.

the sleep calculator is a joke- it is almost always wrong.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

iloveravens
on 2/23/16 10:19 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I have the Fitbit HR.  I was a Jawbone user before and I loved it but needed something to monitor heart rate.

For #1:  You can make the default button to go to heart rate first.  I've done that...because I also disliked having to keep pressing it.

For # 2: I know it's not what you are looking for but you can set an alarm at a certain time to say "get up and move." I agree it would be nice to be reminded when you've been sitting too long.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/24/16 10:54 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Thanks for info about making the HR first.  I don't have the dongle yet, so I can't set anything - not even the time. 

When I get the dongle. I may need to come back to you for specific directions if I can;t figure it out.

I have jazzed it up so I can ear it out dancing.

Sharon

Steph Meat Hag
on 2/29/16 10:50 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I have had an HR for a couple months.  A few things stand out about the product: It's very common, if you want to have friends to do challenges with online this is a very popular band that others typically have.  In my office of 15 people there are 5 of us who have one.  Other people arn't wearing one.  So chances are you know someone.  Next it's light weight, and the band is not going to fall off.  I had a couple other types of bands that would fall off such as a Garmin and a Nike brand one.  It will show you who's calling you which is nice because you don't have to pull your phone out of your pocket to check.  I think the cost is good about $140 for this much info and being able to join online friends for some motivation is worth it to me.

So a few things I do not like: the HR bump on the back can be a real pain at first to get used to.  You feel like you have a bruise on your wrist if you wear it tight enough to get a reading.  I would have gone for the non-HR version but it doesn't have a buckle.  I do wish you could set reminders such as to stand up, to take a pill, or other reminders.  

Overall it's a simple and inexpensive device.  It does what you probably want without the watch getting too big, or too expensive.  The best part about the band is the popularity of the brand and being able to quickly find people to challenge. 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

mangoo
on 10/30/18 6:40 am - NY

I thought about buying Fitbit HR for my parents but I gave up this idea after reading online reviews here: https://fitbit.pissedconsumer.com/fit*****arge-hr-fitness-t racker-21702/RT-C.html

People write that these trackers just fall apart. It's impossible to use them! I don't want to spend money for nothing. That is why me and my parents own Garmin Vivofit. We had connectivity issue but we managed to fix it. The quality of strap isn't too high, it fades quickly. Overall it's worth the price.

Most Active