Working out at home only?

Void
on 12/21/15 4:14 pm

Did you go to the gym right after you were able to start exercising? I'm very self-conscious and don't think I'd want to go to the gym until I lost quite a bit of weight? Is there anyone who works out strictly from home with success? 

iloveravens
on 12/22/15 9:43 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Yes, I work out from home or a hotel room regularly.  

But I wanted really to say that I would hope you would not shy away from the gym because of other people.  No one is looking at you and if they are, then screw them.  Most people are in their own zone and thinking about their own workout.  You are doing something healthy for you - there are all sizes and shapes at the Y and I love it!  :)

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Gwen M.
on 12/22/15 5:29 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Try to remember that no one at the gym is happy with how they look - that's why they're at the gym!  They're all going to be WAY more focused on themselves, and worrying if anyone is judging them, than they will be on you.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Braceface
on 12/23/15 1:25 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

Let me start by saying that I am now a year and a half out from surgery and have become a competitive age group triathlete who's goals are to run a Boston qualifying time in the marathon and qualify for Kona Ironman. Typing those goals still shocks me and a 18 months ago would have been unimaginable. At that time I was 250 pounds and 5'8, did not exercise and would be tierd walking up and down stairs. After surgery i committed to walking everywhere and avoiding my car. For the first few months this was my exercise and the weight dropped dramatically, after all I was carrying around an extra 100lbs! This improved my cardio health levels dramatically and I reached the point where my walks started turning into jogs and then runs. At that point I felt I was ready and needed the extra effort from the gym to get healthy as running can only do so much. I take lots of classes and the people are all shapes and sizes and only being human after being critical of myself in the mirror I do occasionally judge others but I find if I am judging its about peoples effort not how they look. I finish my classes with sweat dripping off me and I know I have given everything to be that bit stronger/faster than last time and I admire everyone around me who has done the same for themselves. At the end of the day you are there to be healthy and for yourself ( although between about 5-8pm there there is a lot of preening from the younger gym members;))

If you want results push yourself to your limits in or out of the gym. Set yourself goals, I love having races to work towards which makes me train hard. Finally if people judge you who cares as long as they keep it to themselves.

Good luck on your journey

Laura in Texas
on 12/26/15 6:13 pm

Walking has helped me tremendously. I prefer walking outside in my neighborhood. The best part about that to me is that I actually only have to make it to the halfway mark because then I know I HAVE to walk the rest of my steps to make it back home...lol. My fitbit helps keep me on track.

You can always start with walking and then join a gym later.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/28/15 12:20 pm, edited 12/28/15 4:21 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

If you have the space, give it a try at home.   I still do Jane Fonda Low Impact or Richard Simmons if I can't do anything else.

After surgery, I walked and did weight training with a trainer for 6 months, and then (down 70 pounds) I could do anything. I was not going to blow a knee out, when if I waited a few months, the pressure on my knees would be way down.

If you are looking for a gym, check out the reviews in Yelp.  I found a Barre 3 studio that is wonderful and made me feel very comfortable.  Most gyms give you a week free pass to see if you like it and will use it. 

I still hike - yesterday I did 10 miles on and around the Appalachian Trail to reset from Christmas indulgences. I did join a local Hiking Club ($15/year in addition to my $29/mo gym).  My fellow hikers inspire me - in the spring I will try a 22 mile hike - but I want more daylight - darkness falls at 4:45 now and I do not want to fight darkness for the last part of the hike. 

This might be TMI, but I want you to know that exercise does become more a way of life, rather than just 3 times a week of torture. 

Sharon

brad0000
on 1/10/16 8:05 pm

I can relate.  I was going to the gym pretty regularly pre op (RNY Nov '14).  The gym I was going to, I never felt it was very supportive for my needs.  I always felt like I was being judged by the other members and/or completely ignored by the trainers, whereas the trainers would engage the other (thinner) members in conversation.  I was also self conscious of exercising outside because of my weight.  I don't think it's uncommon to feel this way.  

I was up and walking within a few hours after surgery.  I resumed walking the dog about 1 mile per day within a couple of days.  I started "working out" again and going back to the gym within a few weeks.  I also bought a cheap treadmill pre op, and I used that to walk and eventually run-walk.  I also started using an app called FitStar pre op and I still use it to this day.  It is billed as a personal trainer but it gives you workouts you can actually do anywhere with no equipment.  You can download and try it for free but for more you do have to buy a subscription, but in my experience it's totally worth it.  

I cancelled my gym membership last year and now I exercise exclusively out of the gym.   I run pretty much every day from 3-6 miles, sometimes more, and I usually also do a workout with the app for strength training, some of the app workouts are under 10 min.  I actually find it easier because I have eliminated the travel time to the gym.  You can definitely do it from home, you just have to make it part of your routine so that you can stick with it.  There are a lot of temptations at home, like the tv, computer, kids, pets, etc... that can get in the way of an exercise routine, but it can definitely be done!  Best wishes!

beersforever
on 1/16/16 8:46 am - vancouver, wa
WLS on 06/10/13

Yes, I did. I am like u, not quiet able to go to the gym, so i did mine here at home, with just the same success I think. I did Pilates. Loved it, VERY hard at first, but the more u do it, the strong u become, and slowly i started to see the change and loved it! I even had afew people ask me if i was a dancer because my body was so lean and i was able to hold myself high with my core in and shoulders back.

Good luck,

I/m actually in need of having to start the excersize process again, as i have gain 15lbs after having my gallbladder removed.

SKmammabear
on 1/16/16 7:06 pm

Maybe check to see if there is an Ilovekickboxing.com anywhere near you.  I found that going to a gym was boring and I didn't know what half the machines were, nor how to use them properly.  (besides being boring) I also felt funny going in there with everyone looking at me too.  In my kickboxing classes you are welcomed into the studio, everyone is very encouraging and the trainers push you to your limits and help you modify your workout until you can keep up.  I'm still afraid of burpees and jumping.  I now can do a full sit up (although with less padding on my behind, it can sometimes hurt my tailbone)  and my next goal is to do a squat thrust and real pushups on the floor, not the wall!  I did start hiking/walking when I could due to weather.  (It rains a lot in the Pacific Northwest)  Best wishes on whatever you decide works best for you!

Most Active