Advice Needed - Best Type of Exercise Bike

lking
on 8/1/15 6:51 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I know this journey to which I am about to embark requires exercise.  My ability to walk is very limited.  I have read on OH that if walking is a problem, then biking is also recommended.  I don't have a bike but I am interested in getting a stationary exercycle.  Because of my need to have a total knee replacement, even this type of exercise will be limited.  However, I have been working with my knee every day.  I can now slowly go up and down 6-8 steps.  This is a HUGE improvement for me!

Here is my question...what type of exercise bike will be the best for me to get?     1. There is the fan-type that you sit up, turn the pedals, and at the same time the long verticle handlebars move back and forth.  I'm thinking these handlebars would be good for tightening upper arm and chest muscles. 2. A recumbant bike...this type may put less stress on my knee.  This bike won't do anything for upper body strengthening but it will be good for strengthening lower body muscles,  including the abdomen.   When I was in physical therapy for my knee the bike they had was a regular-type exercycle.   The user sits up straight on a normal bike seat while holding immovable short horizontal handlebars.  At the time I couldn't use this type of bike very easily without pain to my knee.
Gwen M.
on 8/1/15 8:32 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Something like a NuStep recumbent trainer would probably be perfect. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

janenair
on 1/8/18 12:28 am

First of all, you should consult with your doctor that can you ride on an exercise bike.then I can suggest u this type of features to select.you need comfortable and a big sit for exercise.

WEIGHT CAPACITY: Up to 300 lbs. Intended to be used on the hard flat floor.
SEATING COMFORT: Large seat cushion for people of any size, easily adjustable to fit anywhere from 5'3 inch to 6'1 inch users. HEART RATE: Hand Pulse Monitor
Please tighten the Screws/Bolts to avoid noise during pedaling.
COMPACT DESIGN: Folds for storage and can be moved with the included transportation wheels
TENSION RESISTANCE: An 8 level Magnetic Tension control system, allows the user to adjust the tension level for an easier or more difficult workout. Refer to the manual for troubleshooting steps of Tension system malfunctioning.

Most Active