Sleeved Marathon Training - help needed

McMoo
on 6/17/15 5:07 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 02/16/15

Hi, I'm 4 months out from a Band to sleeve revision.  Down 100 total, 60 more to go.  Very happy with my success so far, and am pushing myself and training for a marathon.  I'm working on the galloway intervals plan, and taking it slow- but i'm having trouble staying hydrated. 

three weeks ago, I almost passed out following an 8 mile run because i stopped moving too abruptly.  lesson learned - long cooldown walking period. 

last week, my coach pulled me at 11 out of 15 miles because I started to get the goosebumps and chills.  I'd drank 2-3 liters of ucan and nuun in my hydration vest.  I'd had two salt tablets around mile 7, and a lifesaver every mile as fuel.    I need suggestions for better hydration - i was drinking to the point of having to pee, and i never had to pee so i just kept drinking (SLOWLY, no sloshing) was that too much?  is my little stomach not equiped to absorb water as i drink thus causing heat exhaustion?  I'm trying a hammer gel this weekend instead of one of the life savers to see how that goes.  Too much sugar when i'm not exercising gives me dumping symptoms.  I also got some of the hammer endurolytes pills to try instead of the salt tabs.   

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  I should add that I'm in DC, so it's like running in a rainforest it's so hot and humid here. 

Thanks!!

GooseGirl
on 6/17/15 11:23 am, edited 6/17/15 11:25 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I can only go off my personal experience and I am absolutely NOT any type of expert. I too am training for a marathon but I am only walking it. I am 7/12 months out and just walked a half marathon Sunday. I haven't had any issue with staying hydrated and I also deal with southern heat & humidity. Instead I wonder if you are simply doing too much too soon. I would not have been able to walk my current mileage at 3 or 4 months post surgery much less run the mileage. 

Maybe it would be beneficial to talk to your surgeon and see if this level of activity is possibly too much for this point in your recovery? Hopefully others will be able to chime in and share their experiences. 

McMoo
on 6/18/15 10:44 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 02/16/15

Thanks for your input -  I've been in close communication with my surgeon and the PA and they both fully support my training.  As I'm using an interval plan, its less stressful than straight running and less likely for injury.  I'll just keep trying to improve my week-long hydration and spendng time outside to try and get acclimated to the heat. 

Bonroxie19
on 6/24/15 7:35 pm

I am only training for a half marathon.  But my doctor and nutritionist added back some good carbs since my labs kept coming back with no protein in my body.  So daily I run an average of 4 miles and then a long run on Sunday up to 7 miles right now.  No walking all running.  On Friday ans Saturday I add 1/4 cup of brown rice to a meal.  On the run day I car water and  gu peanut butter that I have a bit of very two miles. It has really helped me.  I use to be dizzy on the run and not be able to eat for the rest of the day but with the few changes has improved my run.  

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

Schmatzi
on 6/24/15 7:46 pm - TX

Do you know that it is definately hydration? I honestly wouldn't have been able to train 4 months out. I started running about 7 or 8 months out and ran my first half marathon nearly 2 years out and the first full a few months after that. I live in Texas so the summer heat and humidity are definately a problem here too. 

I am not an expert but is it possible that your body just can't handle the distances yet? I mean 15 miles is a good long run once you are a few weeks into marathon prep and that is for people who didn't just go through surgery 4 months ago. Your body is still not adjusted to being 100 lbs lighter either. Nutrition is just as important as hydration but i think really the first area to look at is your training so early out. 2-3 liters during an 11 mile run should be enough to keep you hydrated by the way. If you simply don't have the energy, this might be because you just had surgery plus you probably can't even eat the nutrition your body needs for this type of training yet (and honestly i would go for the maximum weight loss and not stretch the sleeve yet just to get the fuel in). 

Start weight: 318 lbs (1/2012), Current weight: 188 lbs (6/2015)

Other changes: I can fit in a movie theatre seat, I can't wear a bikini yet but i can wear a bathing suit,  I have run 2 full marathons and 4 half marathons. Currently training for the BIG one in NYC in November 2015.

Pictures and information on my goal can be found at http://runwithtfk.org/Profile/PublicPage/24700

Most Active