Swimming distance today - 1 mile!

Patty T.
on 5/28/15 6:05 pm - Boalsburg, PA

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and am glad to see other folks from another forum here as well.

I had been swimming a mile, but hurt my knee doing 2 sets of stairs in one day. I'd dropped down to what felt comfortable, about 2/3 a mile and built up the strength again. Today I'm back to my previous workout!

Also, I posted this on another forum, but this may be a good place to ask:

My current rotation of swim suits are way past replacement date. Stretched out so as to provide no support and wearing thin. On my last swim the cups are so loose that one boob stayed in and the other fell out the bottom of the suit bra - luckily I wear a one piece, so I just had a very lopsided chest with no nip slip. I also saw a small tear in the crotch. 

I'm getting closer to surgery, but probably 2-4 months away. I have a 6 week prep diet of about 900 cals, so will be ramping up losing. Do I buy a cheap suit? (at my size it not THAT cheap) Or get one a size down? Or wear a tee shirt or tank top over it?

I had a water aerobics instructor who sometimes wore 2 bad ones layered.

Advice?

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 5/31/15 6:25 am
VSG on 03/16/15

Nice job on getting back to a mile. I need to get back to swimming. I joined the local you 2 winters ago and was kinda creeped out by the locker room situation.  You kinda have to walk through the shower to get to the pool and there is always this guy in there soaping up??? I played basketball in college and never had any issues having to shower with my team, but creepy. I need to put a nice in the ground pool I'm the yard or something. I think if your swimming a lot just get a new suit if you can afford it. Keep kicking it out. 

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

Patty T.
on 6/4/15 1:41 am - Boalsburg, PA

Yep, that what what I decided to do. I found my old standard suit was on sale at Woman Within, so I got one in a 32 and one in size 30. They arrived today, so I wore the bigger one to the pool. Since it's not yet stretched out, it fits well. 

I'm not shy a bout getting nekkid in the shower, but some people sure seem to like prancing around in the altogether, don't they?

I'd previously been considering an Endless Pool for home, but on consideration, it's good for me to get out of the house and among people. Plus, I had to maintain a pool when I was a lifeguard (50 years ago) and keeping the ph and chlorine levels balanced can be a bear.

Good luck with your swim workout.

nfarris79
on 6/1/15 7:02 am - Germantown, MD

Congrats on the distance! Try SwimOutlet.com, as they have really great suits, awesome range of sizes, and you can find really inexpensive ones on clearance. I've gotten suits & tri-skins from there as cheap as under $20. And going a size down is usually a good idea as some stretch out due to chlorine....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Patty T.
on 6/4/15 1:43 am - Boalsburg, PA

Thanks for the tip. I checked them out and I'm still too big for their stuff, but will keep them in mind.

Dejah H.
on 6/1/15 9:16 am - Central, TX

I agree about swimoutlet.com. They are great!

If you can't afford a new one, layering suits is always a great option. I will sometimes wear 2 suits to provide extra drag to my workout. Also, if you can afford the suit, definitely get a size down, and then you can always layer a bigger one over it if it is a little too tight and you are uncomfortable wearing it in public (I've done this before too). :)

Congrats on your success, and keep up the good work!

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

Patty T.
on 6/4/15 1:44 am - Boalsburg, PA

Hmm, I hadn't thought of the drag as a workout plus. Great idea!

Paul C.
on 6/4/15 12:15 pm - Cumming, GA

It costs a bit more and may take some more hunting but will probably last longer.  Look into getting a 2 piece TriKit.  A kit consists of Bottoms which are typically 7-9 inches long in the legs so takes it to right above the Knee.  The tops are like a running singlet or tank top.  Some female versions have a built in sports bra.  The bottoms have a pad which is for cycling.  The nice thing is that you can find compression version which hold more pieces in place and you can wear them for other activities.  They are designed for triathletes since we don't change in a race.  I know a few women that swim in them.  Message me if you want a place that you can purchase as I know a few places that service us larger individuals.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active