Cyclists/joggers any tips to get my legs up?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/24/15 5:06 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Hi all,

I've recently started bike riding in the street again & I sometimes ride to work. In an attempt to lessen the amount of things I carry in my backpack I bought a couple of panniers & a top mounted bike bag. The only thing is that the angle of the bag makes me have to lift my leg higher to get on the bike & now I have to lean the bike way over to get my leg over the seat & bag to get on. Any tips on how I can lift my legs higher?

I do try to get my 10 thousand steps in most days, maybe I should lengthen my stride? I do leg weights, but mostly just 1x a week. Maybe I'm too tired, in the morning it isn't too much of a problem getting on, but by the end of the day getting on the bike & especially off of it gets to be a problem. I took off the top bag, but eventually I'd like to put it back on again. Ideas?

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

cabin111
on 5/24/15 9:29 pm

I think people would respond, but it is hard to see in our minds what you are saying.  Are the bags hanging off your handlebars?  Are they between your legs?  For the first few years I would carry a backpack while riding my bike.  Then I figured out I didn't need hardly anything for many of my errands.  Years ago I did the bike/bus/bike thing to work.  I was a security guard and I carried my work shirt in the back pack...Just switched shirts for the shift.  You may be able to go with less and less than you think.  Now when I run my errands I will carry (just in my pockets); Cheerios, nuts, a kleenex, and some times my cell phone.  When I'm out and about I don't want to be bothered, so I'll leave my phone at home (2 miles or less)...It's my away time (DON"T BOTHER ME)!!  You may need to switch back to the backpack...But carry much less that you think you need.  I'm pulling out my old backpack as I speak, I'll see what's inside??  Inside it (haven't used it in years); Gloves and cap (for when I get cold), Splenda sweetner, crackers (if I was throwing up or had nausea), extra pair of socks, clean cloth (in case I fall and need to apply direct pressure), protein bar, nuts and crackers, an old drivers license & a five dollar bill (in case I'm robbed), paper, pens,  antacids, Imodium AD, reading material, reading glasses, bandaids.  You can always go with just 2oz of drink (you can always fill up somewhere).  You may need to just stretch your legs to work out the angles for the bike.  Good luck on your journey.  Brian

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/25/15 8:23 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Oops I guess I should've mentioned that the bag is in the back, behind the seat. The bag is angled to rise up on top so it's above the seat. I have a bike rack in the back & I bought the top mounted bag first, then bought the side bags/panniers next.

Since I started riding to work I didn't want to put a lot of stuff in my back pack, especially as the weather gets warmer. I wanted to have the option of getting some riding in after work b4 I go home cuz I know when I'm in that's it.

I can fit in most of my stuff in the side bags, but my lunch bag usually went in the top bag & a change of shoes so I could get in some walking & get my 10 thousand steps in while I'm at work.

I bring a laptop & tablet to work, so that went in 1 bag instead of on my back, the other had a change of clothes plus the stuff I'd have in my purse, that left the top bag for my lunch & shoes.

Hooray commuter riding! Thanks for the help.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

Paul C.
on 5/26/15 8:32 am - Cumming, GA

Not sure if you mount from a standstill but oneway would be to do a rolling mount.  Left Pedal in the 12 o'clock position left foot on Pedal, smash down and lift right leg over as you roll forward.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/28/15 8:16 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Thanks! I'll have to try that 1 day, maybe it'll give me the extra height I'm looking for. I usually mount up from a standstill. I'll try the rolling mount & see how it goes. Thanks!

Paul C.
on 6/4/15 12:18 pm - Cumming, GA

You try Yet?

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/6/15 9:34 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

No I haven't tried it yet but I did just recently bought a step thru Trek bike & it's so much lighter & more enjoyable than my Nishiki bike, but that bike can take the cracks & potholes in the street much better than my lighter Trek bike. So for now I'm gonna work on my speed & endurance on the Trek bike, do more leg weights at the gym & try to build my strength up, then alternate between the Nishiki & Trek. 

I'm thinking of joining a women's cycling club & try the rolling mount with them so they can see what I'm doing right or wrong when mounting up.

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 7/12/15 9:50 am
VSG on 03/16/15

You can always mount standing on a curb or a step. 

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

Most Active