How do I Start

Waytogo2015
on 1/11/15 10:49 am - Canada

I need some help or ideas...  What is the easiest thing to do to start to get moving.  I am think of some water fitness, know l need to start walking.  What are some ideas to get on a routine.  This is all new for me and I work a full and part time job so sometimes time will be an issue.  Any ideas appreciated in advance

Gwen M.
on 1/11/15 10:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Walking, since all you need are shoes :)  Well.. and cold weather gear if you're not on a treadmill.  I'm also a huge fan of yoga, which was intimidating in the beginning but I'm so grateful that I stuck with it!  My best advice is to just try everything you can and see what sticks :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Southernsub06
on 1/11/15 1:41 pm

Cut out some of your food now.....like I love sodas so I stopped drinking them asap (very fattening and bad for you), I lowered my intake of chocolate, if I want to snack I eat Special K or nuts or drink water, I switch my drinks to healthy ones (milk, OJ, water, etc).

Also, don't force yourself to exercise. Make it fun! If exercising is a chore and boring, you will eventually procrastinate and not do it. I just bought a treadmill because my hours are crazy and since I live in TN its freezing cold and I can't get sick so taking long walks outside (especially in the country) is not a good idea of fun to me. So I will be walking inside where its warm :)

I'm also reading The Daniel Plan = this is helping motivate me as well.
Lastly, I'd find someone to be your support person - someone to help keep you straight in eating right and exercising so many times a week.

For Exercising....

You can get some dumbbells and exercise with those, take stairs instead of elevators, walk around nearby blocks, get some wrist/ankle weights and wear those as often as you can, get a buddy and take walks in the park or neighborhood.

Kim S.
on 1/12/15 4:38 am - Helena, AL

Try, try try! Even if you THINK you'll hate it, try it.  I WAS NEVER GOING TO RUN.  I'm a runner.  I HATED boxing.  I love cross boxing class.  I thought I'd LOVE Zumba..........HATE IT. So try everything, find what you like and keep at it.  

My faves (and things I've done for over 6 years)

Hiking, speed walking, jogging, boot camp classes, cross boxing classes, yoga, P90X, TRX

HATE: Biking (spin), swimming, Zumba

TGeiger
on 1/12/15 1:56 pm - Lafayette, LA

One step at a time. If you want to go on exercise, walking is good. You can also try running or swimming. Or better yet go to gym and join any zumba fitness. Either way, you have to start in a very minimal time. For example, if you go for a walk, try walking atleast 10 minutes and then increase it everyday so that you'll be challenged. If you like to run, start with 5-10km distance and increase it everyday. Since you are working, give at least 30minutes of your time to walk, run, etc

Don't force yourself, if you don't feel like exercising. Then let your body to rest.

I also agree that you can also start living healthy by eating healthy meals.

Your Personal training coach in Lafayette, LA. Subscribe to my Free Training Tidbits

Paula1965
on 1/15/15 10:14 am
VSG on 04/01/15

I've enjoyed Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVDs - can be done at home, can go at your own pace, low impact.

Paula

Braceface
on 1/15/15 10:38 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

I began excersising by walking whenever I could. That meant I commited to staying out of my car if possible. So I walked to cvs for meds or milk. Walked to the grocery store to pick up small items etc and just walked around the  neighborhood. 

I then progressed to riding a bike longer distances to get things or even go to the mall. I also started running for the first time in my life in December.

after the weight really started to come off I went to the gym and did spinning and different HITT classes. I walk or run to the gym as warm up cool down whenever there is no snow or ice on the ground. 

I am am now so hooked that I am about to start training for a triathlon in the late spring. 

Stick with a commitment to yourself and you will be amazed at what you can do.

good luck

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/15 12:30 pm - GA

Hello and this is actually a great question. Congrats on making up your mind to get started. That's half of the battle. The other half of the battle is choosing the correct plan which is very important in determining your success or possibly failure. Choosing a plan to difficult can get very frustrating and choosing a plan to easy could really slow your results. There are many things to consider. Actually, I wrote a great blog on this called "Problem Choosing An Exercise Program---Know Thyself" which I know will be very helpful to you.

Most Active