Batwing Fat

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/14 2:04 am

I had RNY in 2009 and I've gone from 330lbs to 169...and I'm hopefully having a tummy tuck in two weeks, pending that my iron comes up.  I work out about 4-5 days a week, mixing cardio and weight training.  I have this fat under my arms and it's going to cost close to $5000 to get it removed.  Has anyone ever been able, through weight training and cardio, to get it to go away?  I'd just be patient if I knew it were possible...I just think the elasticity is shot and the skin is just hanging, which is sad cause I have great form in my arms otherwise. 

Thanks for any advice!

Lyss Remaly
on 12/9/14 3:58 am - Wheeling, IL

Hey Teachermom!!!  First and most important a HUGE congrats on your weight loss and getting into the gym.  That is just incredible!  I also had TERRIBLE bingo wings and made those a focus before I had my brachioplasty to make sure they were as tight as possible.  Unfortunately, we cannot spot reduce but that does not mean we cannot FOCUS haha!  I would suggest really using tricep movements to tone that area

1.) use the rope attachment on the cable machine and do tricep push downs and really squeeze at the bottom (10-12 reps per set at a weight that is difficult at the 8th/9th rep)

2.) Tricep kickbacks with the dumbbells either with a knee on the bench or standing with your hips at a 90 degree angle (same reps/sets and weight)

Also focus on your biceps because it is all attached and all pulls each other together

3.) go to the chest flys and sit backwards and do rear delts... that will hit the backs of your shoulders which also ties into the tricep

I hope this helps!!!  PLEASE do not hesitate to message me and I am happy to suggest any other solutions for you! 

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/14 9:00 pm

Thank you so much Lyss!  I am actually scheduled to have a tummy tuck on Dec. 22.  I priced the brachioplasty and it was in the $4000 range.  I am kinda debating between that and my summer vacation at the moment; so we'll see.  I like to go overseas in the summers but also I could get my arms done for the same money.  Who knows...

Anyways, yes I do those things at the gym...I have defined arm muscle and I'm working on it.  But just I have this hangy skin and I have seen changes even in the past couple months about more muscle definition but I know that this skin is just not really going anywhere either. 

How is the scarring??  The plastic surgeon said it was kinda bad and that really he felt it was an uncomfortable surgery to recover from because of arm movement basically being involved in everything but that I would deeply benefit at the same time.  Thank you and congratulations to you as well on your hard work and your support to all us others!

Gwen M.
on 12/10/14 3:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Sadly the only options for loose skin are plastics and shape wear :(

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/14 8:42 pm

Thanks!  I though so!

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/14 1:27 pm

If you take in 1,050 to 1,200 calories a day and daily continue physical exercise, please Patient you & try it I hope you could loss 2-3 pounds first week.

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/14 3:18 am

Thanks Tanim for the encouragement!  I do get depressed about myself and where I'm at instead of realizing how far I have come.  It's a big lesson to learn in life generally; not just regarding weight loss.  Thank you again!

SkinnyScientist
on 12/30/14 2:14 pm

I do not have batwing fat. It could be luck/genetics but here is what I did.

Bodypump (high reps/low weight) aerobic weight lifting 2 times per week. Then i used the cable machine to work the head groups and do tricep exercises (like the ones the poster above set forth).

Also consider hella lt of girl push ups and planking for 20-30 seconds in sets of 3 throughout the day.  

Good luck. I am in the same boat as you. The only bdy part i dont like is my inner thighs.  They are getting cleavage. I am using the cable machine and other things (like roller blading) to try to get something going down there..but it is not working.

There is NO shame in plastics.  You worked hard for your body by working out and making the right food choices. You SHOULD have the body you deserve because you earned it.  Consider surgery as a mechanism that ensures YOU get your cosmic karma.

Kisses!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/14 8:38 pm

Thank you for your reply!  Yeah, you must have gotten some lucky genes girl because my arms have issues lol...I do workout like you, and I workout hard.  I actually have nice muscle definition on the tops and sides, and my shoulders and stuff is all good, just the sagging underneath makes my arms look 3 times what they should be.  With clothes on you can't tell because of course, I still wear longer sleeve stuff because I'm embarrassed about it.  People say, oh you look just fine.  Your arms are a normal size.  If it's a woman, I'll be like, really?!?!  Do you see this?  And I show them and all they say is...oh, ok.  Because really, it's going to have to be removed.  Yes my inner thighs are the same way.  I do the vertical climber at the gym everyday and I try to do different positions while on it with some wide leg stuff and also I do the weight machines for thighs where you push in and out and wide squats/regular squats. 

Good luck to you as you continue your hard work and I know it will pay off for both of us!  Thank you!!! 

David147
on 4/6/15 5:29 pm

Actually the best workouts are push ups and pull ups. You always want to work the opp muscle groups for balance. Pull-ups -  Lay on ur back with a broomstick across 2 chairs, grasp the handle with both hands and pull ur chest up towards the stick do a few sets of about 12 to start with. This is a quicker and more effective exercise than dips. Push ups- the best are the 3 different angle ones...1st angle reg push up position or on knees for beginners...2nd position upper body is inclined- for example against a counter top hands shoulder width apart...3rd position is decline feet are higher than upper body- example-  feet on rung of chair or a toes on bench. Good Luck!

Most Active